280mm brake conversion list of parts?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, all went well after I got the spacers on. Just a really simple straight swap.

I went with the DS2500 pads in the end so hopefully they will be fade free at Donnington this Sunday!

Cheers to everyone that gave some input with this :)

buy a caliper refurb set from bigg red, circa 25 quid.

pop the pistons out with a foot pump or compressed air (watch fingers), remove seals and dust caps etc, check pistons for scoring, or rust or pitting, replace if needs be

fit new seals and dust seals, fit pistons back in etc etc

I did that Steve :grin:

The only problem I have is that the spacers are crap as I'm getting a steering wobble at about 70 so I'm going to bite the bullet and get some hubcentric ones from Pumaspeed and while I'm at it get the rear widening kit too!!!

May I revive this old thread? If I understand things correctly, you need a 3 mm spacers for the each wheel. That would mean that the track of puma is widened for 6 mm, right? At the same time, the ET is also messed for the same 3 mm. How does that affect the handing of a puma, especially turn-in?
As I do have propellor wheels, and think about doing this conversion I am asking for the experiences of people who have done it. So, I do expect the car to be stopping much better, but what about the rest, ie. the handling? Puma is very sensitive to the steering and correct ET...

i can tell you one thing... i drive with ET 38... and with spacers of 5mm it becomes ET 33... close to the standard ET34... and the difference is noticeable. Without spacers the car feels wobbly on its wheels and you miss a bunch of stability on higher speeds...

for a puma i wouldn't go above ET35... Had soms ST170 wheels with 25mm spacers all around... which took the ET to 27 and it drove like it was a much bigger car and was much more stable on its wheels.

Ok, thanks for the info! I just wouldn't want to ruin the handling of a puma; to invest some money and time in bigger brakes only to find out that the handling is ruined and that I want to come back....

Guys, one small request. Could you look what would be the price for a pair of fiesta ST original discs? I got quote that says like this: one disc 72,80 £ (a pair is 145,60 £!) and original pads (set) 127 £!
So, all together it would come to 273 £ over here!?!? No way it is costing that much in UK, I guess/hope?

Edit: just found out at fordpartsuk.com a pair of discs would be 65,52 £ and pads 46,80 £. Is that it, or you could get even better quotes somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

Back