ABS and TC Lights On - No DTC Codes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Max

**Apologies, in the wrong section - please move... sorry!**

Evening all,

As per the title really. First step was to do the cluster diagnostic, but that says no DTCs. So I borrowed a friend's code reader, plugged it in... again, no DTCs shown on that and erasing the fault code memory made no difference.

Everything I've read says that the code should let me know which sensor is playing up, but I'm getting no codes.

Anyone had this before? Suggestions?

Many thanks...

You need to use a decent (expensive) code reader that is able to scan the abs system, something like a snap on code reader. This will be able to tell you exactly which sensor is at fault.
These ebay £20 jobs are only able to read the engine codes. No abs or srs etc.
Im guessing this is what's happening

Have you gone past the speed of the self test? When I jack up the rear (as an example) when adjusting the brakes the TC light was on then went off after the self test...have you done something like this recently? Maybe your sensors are dirty otherwise.

Thanks for the replies :)

It wasn't a fancy code reader, so I guess that could be the issue then. I'll see if I can source something better...

Yes, I've exceeded the ABS self test speed, I can't hear the rumble of the self test and the lights remain.

Hi
You don't need a fancy code reader to check your ABS system all you need is a lap top and then download Forscan off the internet onto your laptop and buy the OBD11 plug in and disc featured on the link on my build thread (supplied by Sinisa). Forscan will tell you exactly which sensor or if the pump unit has gone. If I remember rightly the plug in unit cost about £7, an absolute bargain!
Barry

Good morning all.

Ok, I've got an old laptop that I use for OBD I / II on BMWs, so I imagine those cables would work for the Ford too? I'll have a go tonight at downloading ForScan...

Hi
Not so sure the plug in units for BMWs will work. What you are looking for is an ELM 327 connector but, unfortunately, the link I used to get mine off ebay is not working now but you could always ask on here if someone has recently bought one that works. If you already have the laptop you'll find this set up invaluable as it does virtually everything like full system checks, turning off fault codes, re-setting idle control valves, etc.
Barry

Right, I've borrowed a much more substantial code reader from work (Autel), I'll have another go tonight :)

tuonokid said:
Hi
...................What you are looking for is an ELM 327 connector but, unfortunately, the link I used to get mine off ebay is not working now but you could always ask on here if someone has recently bought one that works..................
Barry
ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose, has been updated 2019-02-07:
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

...and now I've borrowed the scan tool, just putting it in my car has made the lights go out. Didn't have to plug it in, didn't have to turn it on or read the codes or anything. It was in my bag, I put my bag in the car to drive home and the lights went off!

Tested the ABS, definitely working.

Intermittent fault then? Will read the codes later anyway...

Codes read. Front left wheel speed sensor... any old aftermarket one or am I best with a genuine Ford?

I fitted a cheap aftermarket rear sensor to one of mine a couple of years ago and it didn't work :evil: :evil: .
Ended up buying from Ford,problem solved!!

Latest posts

Back