Another one bites the dust...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorboy

Not mine but my Son's. It's a 1.7 X-reg with about 80k miles on it but in the space of one week it developed the following faults:

Big oil leak (probably rocker cover, cam seals or crank seal).
Big coolant leak (Thermostat housing I think).
Cracked windscreen (£100 excess on insurance).
Very difficult/impossible to change gear about one in 10 changes; restarting engine seems to fix it briefly (clutch, gearbox or linkage?).

It's also due a major service, needs new discs and pads, and has a squealing idle pulley :)

So I reckon that'll be heading off to the scrappy shortly. Shame as about 12k ago it had cambelt, head rebuild and clutch done.

I've decided to give my 1.7 to my Son, so I'm now puma-less :-( That means I'm back to using my RX-8 as my daily drive (I had been intending to sell that!)

Bummer.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Not that it helps the rest of the issues but have you checked the brake fluid level, this might be why the gear change isn't operating effectively especially if the brakes need replacing.

Sounds a shame to scrap that. What's the bodywork like?

As Red says definitely check the fluid. Clutch feed is taken from the top of the brake reservoir.

Haven't got round to checking anything properly myself yet but thanks for the fluid suggestion; I was wondering about the hydraulics.

Bodywork isn't great; I reckon the arches have been filled before and are now erupting like a teenage face! I reckon that even if the clutch and gearbox are actually OK, the parts costs will still write it off as I'd only do a proper job with decent parts and no scrimping. I'll have a good look and think about it before scrapping.

Bob

Might be worth ebaying instead of scrapping? At least get a little more money for it maybe.

I'm thinking it might be worth at least selling some parts; the alloys are good for a start. Trouble is I really need it off the drive! I'm getting my Son to come round this weekend to remove his Sony head unit and other bits and pieces then we'll make a decision.

Bob

Back