Another thread about arches

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtfulHussy said:
[post]352707[/post] Great job that, always good to cover up thw rot as it really lets the cars down eh? Paint hardens after 24-48 hours (depending on if you've baked it). If you don't polish it before then you're stuck with whatever orange peel / dry spray / runs etc you may have.

I was going from one of my old Haynes manuals, there's a section on accident repairs. It says let the paint harden fully (which could take up to two weeks apparently!) before cutting it in. What if I use some very fine grade wet and dry paper, then do another coat of paint?

If you're following a guide already I don't want to interfere too much - I'm going on what I was taught when I was panel beating. :? It is possible use a very high grade of paper on lacquer without having to put paint on again, I think 1500 or above IIRC but it was always done with a da sander and a little water. I honestly don't know how aerosol stuff would react to this kinda treatment though cause it doesn't have the same consistency as stuff applied with a proper gun. I just left mine in the end cause I didn't want to risk giving myself more work.

Maybe just stick to what you're following already and ignore my two pennies worth!? I'm following with interest to see how you get on so keep us updated :)

huw_jenks said:
[post]352706[/post] And this is what it looks like after painting!
Looking good. Don't forget to use Vactan* on the inside of the rear arches and you'll to good to go. I did my rear arches almost 3 years ago and they are as good as the day I did them.

Here's some links that might help - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=342351#p342351
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=339476#p339476

Metals are both permeable and reactive to liquids and gases. This stuff isn't rocket science, but it is science and it's called metallurgy. Done right, rust can be stopped in its tracks.

* a thin water based rust converter and primer that will access and 100% coat anywhere that water vapour can. Always do 2 coats if applying by brush.

Back