Anyone had this? Overloaded Fuse!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

Moved the puma up the road to load on boxing day before setting off to Crewe, started fine, went to leave 15 mins later and it was just constantly turning over. After scratching my head for ages it turned out the 10 amp fuse opposite fuse 20 (it weren't numbered so guess not original) had blown which I think must relate to the fuel pump/injectors, put another one in, tried to start it, blew again!

Replaced again, but this time unplugged the Sat Nav and bravo it started!

About to leave Crewe yesterday and for some reason turned my lights on before starting the engine at ignition position 2(dont ask me why) guess what, blew again. Seems like I can't turn on anything extra before the engine, or this fuse will blow and I can't start the engine.

Anyone else had this and any idea of what could be the reason for it? Damp possibly?

Thanks you lovely people!

Just had a look in the owners handbook for you. Fuse 20 in the main fusebox is not used , Opposite ie ( in next row) is Fuse 9 which is 15 amp rating (blue) , for seat height adjustment, which you probably don't have fitted to your seat.

In case there's some confusion to what you refer to as being the opposite fuse.
to the left of fuse 20 is fuse 19 that is red 10 amps and is for eec module,radio,central locking module.

Perhaps this is the fuse you refer to? If so start by disconnecting your radio. also check ecu connector incase water has leaked via bulkhead grommet onto ecu. To the right is fuse 21 and that is unused

Yes its the red 10 amp directly below fuse 20 from looking at it from the front of the car. Thanks for looking it up, Ecu would make sense, bet it is water damn it.

Unfortunately your original post didn't specify which fusebox you were looking at.The fuses I have described are inside the car behind the cubby hole on the the right hand side below the dash. It would appear now you meant the auxiliary fusebox within the engine bay? With reference to fuses in the engine bay. The fuses have an id from 23 to 40. It's a possibility,that they maybe identified inside the lid of the fusebox. If you post 2 photo"s, I could identify the fuse you refer to and the circuit it protects,eg with it still in place & a photo of it removed

Cheers boss, I'll grab a photo tomorrow, can't find my manual at present.

Yes the fuse box in the engine bay, first row (from viewing from facing the engine bay) immediately behind it was a green fuse (possibly yellow) with the number 20 on it, has to have some relation to the fuel delivery I feel.

Cheers Rick, seems like its F31 and 10 amp, I removed it in the photo

IMAG0422_zps62457fc9.jpg

This is rather odd, as comparing your actual photo of the fuse box to that shown in the Puma owners handbook & also Yogs fuse layout, the layout of the fuses are different.

However, using the handbooks fuse descriptions table and circuits that they feed, there is a possibility that the fuse that is blowing is actually fuse 27 (especially, if is the fuse to the right in your photo coloured blue 15 Amp rating?)
If so, the fuse is Fuse 27 , 10A and is listed as catalytic converter.

So what I recommend you check is the connections to the Lambda Sensor up by the bulkhead, they often corrode and go white powdered in colour and can be cleaned with contact cleaner or wd40. Perhaps the corrosion is causing a short and the fuse to blow. Also check the wire to the lambda onto of the manifold isn't damaged.

That connector in particular,is susceptible to corroding as a result of jet washing

Thanks for your continued help with this. Will have a looksie and crack out the wd40, the fuse that blows is removed in my photo and has an arrow pointing to its position.

Yes and as previously stated it appears to be the Lambda sensor fuse

Latest posts

Back