Bad idle problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Sorry if there is already a post about this, I couldn't find it!

My mum's Puma has a problem, been like this for a few weeks and we've tried a numerous of things to solve it however we have not succeeded yet.. We changed the spark plugs (gap is correct), we cleaned the ICV which was filthy, not better.. We replaced the PCV valve, didn't fix our problem.. Unplugged the lamdba while idling and removed the oil cap to check if there is a vacuum leak, no joy..

The things I find really weird are the following, When you remove the oil cap there is some sort of musterd on the back of it.. (water and oil mixture? Leaking headgasket??) The hose, that come from the cylinder head and goes to the airbox smokes when you remove it from the airbox, And with some I mean really bad like constant white smoke.. Besides that I suspect there is a leak in the inlet or exhaust manifold cause the RPM won't drop if you block of the exhaust, Leaky.. Also it looks like there is a leak from the injector cause there is oil right beneath it, perhaps an injector is blocked?.

The problems my mum has when driving is that the car is slow, It just doesn't go, the RPM's go but the car doesn't (MAF? Coilpack? Leads?)

At last I made a video of the car while idling, As far as I know the car then to shake a lot when idling but doesn't judder when taking off it just doesn't go and stays flat. (Video will be posted later as it's processing)

So few problems in one post, Can someone help me?! Would be really grateful if someone can help me solve this problem!

Brian

You could check the switch on top of the clutch peddle is still in place and also check the wires going to the power stearing sensor (under the front drivers side of the car), Both can cause idle issues.

If Rpms are climbing and there seems to be no power that sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Hope this helps :)

lusid666 said:
You could check the switch on top of the clutch peddle is still in place and also check the wires going to the power stearing sensor (under the front drivers side of the car), Both can cause idle issues.

If Rpms are climbing and there seems to be no power that sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Hope this helps :)
Alright will be doing that, Yeah I noticed that all well that the clutch is slipping like nothing else, forgot to mention that! So that problem is basically solved :p

Alright, Tried what you said Lusid and for some odd reason the power steering sensor was badly connected, Put that back in and looked if there was any wire-damage. None at all the clutch peddle was still connected and also in good condition. The power steering sensor did make it idle better however only when cold, after it warmed up it started to idle at 700rpm again and started shaking again. Went to the back of the car to check at the exhaust and found that there was a puddle of water under it and water dropping out of it there was also a bit of white smoke.. It might really be a headgasket issue.. :'(

There was no mayonaise/mustard on the dipstick though, Can it be a blown intake gasket??

Does the white smoke smell of coolant? Also, sniff the coolant tank to see if it smells of exhaust gases. My friend's C3 had both of these along with drop in coolant level. Head gasket :-(

Bob

tractorboy said:
Does the white smoke smell of coolant? Also, sniff the coolant tank to see if it smells of exhaust gases. My friend's C3 had both of these along with drop in coolant level. Head gasket :-(

Bob
Exhaust smells are a bit fruity yeah.. Will check the if the coolant smells like gas/exhaust gases. Thanks!

So, Since today I'm a proud owner of a Scangauge II. Did bought it for my own Puma but we decided to check for any fault codes on my mum's Puma. It gave us 6 fault codes but eventually there were 2 because they were duplicated. The codes are: P0302 (Misfire in cylinder 2) and P1383 (Cam timing advance is excessive). The cambelt was changed approx 1 year ago and a few months after that it started to run a bit rough on idle. So seeing these fault codes I assume that the timing on the cambelt is off.. I think we should go back to the garage that did the cambelt.. :zzz:

Did they do the tensioner correctly (2-stage pin removal?) I suspect not. When my son's belt jumped it bent the valves :-(

Bob

Back