Battery Clamp

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

I'm looking to replace my negative battery clamp as i can just slide it off when i have it tightened it as much as i can so i think something is broken...

But im having trouble finding one that looks right on e-bay any know of a link to the right clamp for the negative battery terminal like the one below (or one that will work)....

image.php

its just held down with a cable tie at them moment :-D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Piece-Car-battery-Terminal-Clamps-Car-Classic-Modern-Cable-Fitting-12-Volt-/360693833778?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53fb072032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should do the trick

Is it me or does that negative terminal coming from the battery actually look smaller than the positive thus the reason for the connector not tightening properly.

If it were me I'd just pack the terminal with a slither of copper or the like. Or buy a new battery with the same size terminals, most likely the former as it's easier/cheaper :lol:

I just checked a relatively new battery I have in the hall and the negative is smaller on that as well.

PM incoming

I should probably say... that is not my battery in the pic i stole it off another topic just to so a piccy of what i was on about :oops: ...

I did think about making a kind of shim for it out of a piece of copper... might try that first then if i still have no luck i guess its broke... in which case if the one in the link will work ... bingo...

With the one in the link... is the big wire in the middle clamped down between the two screws? (that is the bit that has been confusing me...)

The negative does tend to be smaller normally i think but maybe my one is super undersized.... maybe if i chop up a bit of copper pipe to test it i will know more...

Thank for the offer quest i will try the shim idea and if that doesnt work ill get back to you...

many thanks guys :thumbs:

I would think your big centre wire must get clamped between the two bolts, and its also possible the two bolts on the clamp might be too big to fit in the holes for your other two wires. I might be wrong but its possible

The negative pole is always smaller, it always you to identify the correct pole as some batteries don't have the poles marked on the casing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-BATTERY-TERMINAL-SOLID-POST-ADAPTER-BRASS-CLAMPS-6-V-12-V-POSITIVE-NEGATIVE-/170984940233?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item27cf7f22c9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe then one of these would do the job

UPDATE: I ended up buying a battery shim of e-bay (£3.00) it just goes over the top of the existing battery post... after I finally opened the clamp wider to go over the top of the new bit its all in and works brilliantly nice and secure... much easier than re-wiring the bits on a new one :p

Back