Best brake upgrade way?? (Help guys)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

Hello guys! I want to upgrade my puma's brake system, front and rear, what is the best solution without cut or drill nothing? Focus mk1? Or st150? The max diameter can i put in the front is 280 cause i can only have the 15's in my country, what dimensions have the mk1 focus? In the rear what is the best way? Focus mk1 or st 150? Thank to all!!!

Anyone? Sorry guys! I'm so confused i've already read some posts but i haven't fount the answer that i mean! :cry:

Thank you very much red!!! If i install rear focus brakes and front fiesta mk6s brakes (258mm i think) is a good idea? Thanks!

The general consensus is that you don't really see too much benefit from upgrading the rear setup to discs except from cosmetic appearance or track usage.

The later Puma already has a 258mm caliper, so that doesn't sound like an upgrade unless your Puma has the earlier 238mm

Yes! My puma is a 97 edition so it has the 238mm, if i install the 258mm with puma calipers in front, and 253mm with focus calipers back is a good idea? :?:

I mean for me the rear disc upgrade is a lot of work for not much real world benefit, under 15s it wouldn't add much cosmetically.

If you're doing just because you like the idea then I say go for it.

Oh yes red, i want to do this mod cause i want to use the puma (rarely) in track days! And for sure for cosmetics!
I have see that the ford cougar v6 has the same dimensions of the brake discs as the st150 mk6 fiesta, if i use cougar parts like front and rear calipers and discs it maybe works? 278mm front 253mm rear

Just beware that if they are like the Mondeo calipers (I'm assuming they may be given it was based on a Mondeo) then they may need modifying and the bolt sizes are different I believe.

Take a look at these threads for some info however not entirely the same

My mk3 mondeo/ST170 brake fitting guide
Fit 300mm Brakes how to guide

There is a member [ref]lusid666[/ref] that said he was going to fit 280mm using "calipers from a v6 cougar (the same as the st24 mondeo)" not sure how he got on with that idea though.

Ah ok you are correct! I have buy new brembo's 258mm front and 253mm back! With brembo's pads, max sport series, very nice, so now i have to found the focus rear calipers and puma/fiesta front calipers!

Good luck :eek:k:

It's a shame you can't do the 300mm front disc Mondee/Focus ST170 upgrade due to not being able to increase your wheel size.
I did it on mine that had 16" wheels, the difference was night & day compared to the pathetic 258mm that was standard on mine. :drive:

[image]388[/image]

:'( i known!!! But for now i have order all the pieces to make the conversion, like 258mm front and 253mm back, with focus calipers and st150 hubs and brackets!! In the future i will install 280mm and brembo's 4 pot in front! But for now i think it can be right with other mod in the naturally aspirated form of my puma, when i decide to make some hard mods! I will shurely buy the 280's with 4 pot brembo's!

Guys! I have a question, i have bought st150 hubs and brackets, i have to modified this like in the guide? For use the abs? Or i just install this straight? Thank you!

Managed to locate brand new Brembo discs, calipers and pads on-line for surprisingly little outlay. They're manufactured by Brembo but do not have the Brembo tags all over them. Made a significant difference.

Next up would be braided hoses under the arches to prevent ballooning. Also use high-end fluid.

Latest posts

Back