Better Headlights without resorting to illegal/dodgy HID kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOK

Have ordered some of these, will post a full verdict after fitting...
http://www.finemotoring.com/index.htm

I've never/seen or heard of them before but the science behind them does seem sound, particularly the fact that they do not involve chopping up the wiring or any changes to the optics of the headlight, unlike HIDs.

Interesting theory, lloking forward to seeing results. I was driving home last night and i was convinced i had a bulb out, but they were both on, puma lights are so, so bad.

Hmmm good find Colin!

Can't wait to see how they perform.

Anything to battle the insurgence of illegal HID bulb installs :rant:

To be fair though i think the governemnts anti-hid thing is a bit too harsh. If you can fit them and they can poss an MOT and not dazzle other drivers i fail to see the problem.

That's the point I think thouhg, they DO dazzle other drivers if the headlight isn't made to cope with them.

To be fair, I drove a good 3 hours down the A1 in the dark last night, and the lights were sufficient. Granted they're not as bright as some others, but the light and the spread that is there is enough to see the road in front of me. So long as you've got decent bulbs in, and the lights are kept clean, there shouldn't be an issue.

Have to disagree, the lights are garbage. Worst ive ever had in any car ive driven. Ive got decent philips bulbs too. With main beam on theyre quite good down lanes, but on their own dipped are usless, and in built up areas with sodium lights you cant even tell theyre on.

One thing i do find is theyre very peircing in fog, and quite good. My Ka had great lights, with a very wide spread across the road, but in fog this just bounced back at you.

You don't need your headlights to see where you're going in a built up area, ie, with street lamps, so that point is pretty much moot. It is for your visibility to others, and standard Puma headlights are sufficient for that.

If the dipped headlights were really that useless, no-one who had a puma would drive at night. The lights DO need to be clean though for them to be at their best, by clean I also mean free from deteriation of the plastic as that can hinder the beam too.

They would also not be piercing in fog if they're that bad, are you sure you didn't have full beam on, as that creates a white-out effect rather than illuminating the road in front of you.

The lights may not be bright in comparison to other cars, and they may not be bright enough you you, but they're certainly enough to be able to see where you're going. Especially if you drive to the conditions.

I would know if i had main beam on Cherie give me some credit!

My point is the lights are like thin beams of light due to their design. Most cars with bigger headlights have a much greater area of reflection for the bulb. As a result the lights give a better spread, but its less focused. I found this is what you dont need in fog.

I find in dusky conditions theyre most noticeably not good enough, and when youve got some streetlights in built up areas. They may not be essential in built up areas true, but they sometimes seem as if theyre not on at all, its worrying more than anything.

DradusContact said:
I would know if i had main beam on Cherie give me some credit!

My point is the lights are like thin beams of light due to their design. Most cars with bigger headlights have a much greater area of reflection for the bulb. As a result the lights give a better spread, but its less focused. I found this is what you dont need in fog.
Just checking, because I've never had that issue with them.

Have you gone through the complete cleaning process for the lenses that BOK posted up? Makes a world of difference...

I think I will write an e-mail to Daniel Stern (the guy who's website I quote from regarding lights and stuff) about the Puma's headlights as I'd love to get the opinion of an expert about why the lights don't seem so great.

The worst headlights I've ever driven with is in an E36 BMW 3 series (a brand new one), it was like trying to see with 2 AA Maglites :?

Bulbs have arrived and fitted...

compare.jpg

Compareing the standard 9005 with the HIR equivalent. Note the differing shape but the filament is in EXACTLY the same position- no change in the optics of the lights.

lhs.jpg
rhs.jpg

The bulbs are 65W as standard.

backs.jpg

Rear. The top tab on the HIR must be trimmed down- they arrived with the white paint showing clearly the area to be removed.

clipper.jpg

A couple of minutes spent with a nail clipper...

trimmed.jpg

Done and ready to install.

All photos taken with fixed settings on my Sony DSC-R1. They are deliberately underexposed...no point showing you apparently bright bleached out images, you won't be able to see any difference between the old and new bulbs...
The best way to view is download all 3 images and switch rapidly between them in an image viewer. There is a very noticable difference.
Aperture F16
Shutter Speed 1/10 Sec
ISO 160
White balance Daylight
Original bulbs 9005 less than 6 months old, dipped headlights shown only

1.jpg

Original 9005 bulbs, left and right.

2.jpg

Left: HIR bulb, right: original 9005 bulb

3.jpg

Left and right: HIR bulbs

In practice they are noticably whiter (as you'd expect from the technology which allows the filament to burn hotter) but don't appear artificially coloured or blue (sorry to those looking for something that looks 'cool') but they throw a very noticably larger amount of light on the road, evenly and in a wider beam. Longevity...we shall see.
My particular lights were never that bad to begin with but it's a very good improvement and they are welcome to stay.

The bulbs cost the equivalent of 18GBP each including shipping from the US. Installation requires no more than a couple of minutes with a nail clipper then fitting as normal.

Awesome, even from the pictures not switching i can see the difference!

Did they take long to arrive?

Hmm.. might have to consider something like this. I'll nudge you in a month or so Col to see if they're still performing before committing £36 on new lights.

Great review / information though Colin :eek:k:

From the US they took just 6 days :cool:

Aren't Halfords brighter bulbs (or cosmetic blue ones) about £20 each?

Yeah they are Colin, but they often have a BOGOF going. (Did when I got mine) The 50% brighter ones I have in are a good upgrade from standard.

In my opinion not much of an improvement for the money but if your happy then all is well.

Latest posts

Back