Brakes front to back

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickaroll

Hi all,

I have a 2001 'Black' Edition Puma with the 258mm front discs, and drum rears.
Assuming she gets through her NCT/MOT this weekend with not too much fuss, I'll be doing a bigger brake upgrade.

1) I'd like to go to 300mm Mondeo Mk3 brakes if possible, with a matched set from Mintex or similar, but I don't want to change the wheels unless I really have to. The F1-style wheels are a pain to clean, but I like them and I like that 15" T1Rs are cheap.
Does anyone have experience with hub-centric spacers? Will I still have to grind the calipers?

2) I've put pretty M-tec grooved and drilled discs and mintex pads up front a few months ago, barely 3000miles on them, it'd be a shame to have to get rid of them, is it possible to do a rear disc conversion using them?

My shopping list so far:
Salvaged MK mondeo calipers and carriers
new carrier bolts
shiny new Mondeo 300mm discs and mintex pads (
Blue caliper paint (left over from the front)

Am I missing anything vital?

You wont be able to re use the front mintex discs and pads im afraid, the disc is too thick to fit any rear caliper that ford do, and if you were to adapt the rear hub to accept the old front caliper, you would then have to use something like a van servo and brake master cylinder because the internal volume of the caliper is just too big. Youd also have to adjust the bias as the rear brakes would lock up all the time, and youd have to install a hydraulic handbrake. So in a nut shell, it can be done, but its not worth the hassle!!

for the rear disc conversion, just get everything off the back of a fiesta ST, hubs, calipers and handbrake cables, works a treat!

you can get 15's over the 300mm brakes but you just need to shave a fraction off the caliper/carrier only a couple off mm's. havea look in my project thread as ive got both conversions on my car

Thanks guys!
NCT passed, sills needed to be repaired, fortunately my mechanic went easy on me.

I'll do the 300mm conversion, probably with a little grinding, replacing all 4 wheels and 4 tires (I've just put Toyo T1Rs all 'round) would add too much to the cost, so I reckon I'll chance my arm.

The rear setup will have to wait on something coming up on fleabay or one of the forums, Fiesta STs aren't that common in Ireland, breakers don't always have what you need, and if they deck they're the only one with it, you're pay handsomely for it.

Back