Brakes not working properly!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Just last night i was turning into the car park where i live and whilst using the brakes the pedal went soft and sunk to the floor. (still managed to stop the car but something is definatly wrong) As it was pitch black all i could check was the fluid resorvior. Its gone from full to near the minimum line. Just wondering what the possible causes are and how to diagnose the issue myself.

Also the abs unit hasnt worked for a while and i wonder if it might be something to do with that.

I guess my car is a bit of a death trap at the moment :|

Do not drive the car till this problem is fixed.Clearly you are losing brake fluid at an alarming rate (actually losing any at all is alarming)

I would start off with quickly checking the floor at each corner of the car and looking for fluid on the ground and when you find some investigate further.

Take the wheel off where you find a puddle and inspect the rubber hose to the caliper and then check the copper brake pipe / line back to the master cylinder. The rears are behind the exhaust heat shields under the car.

If you cant find a puddle take each wheel off in turn and look for brake fluid leaks and or split / corroded brake pipes or lines.
when checking the back wheels if you find fluid leaking from the hubs you may have a leaking slave cylinder. Also check that your bleed nipples are all there.

Again dont drive it. Let us know how you get on

Right, going to inspect the damage now. Whatevers happened i can see it being a pig to sort lol Thanks for posting guys :thumbs:

Update. Fluid is leaking from the driver side brake drum. I will amble off to the how too's in a minute. What am i likely to find once ive dismantled it???

quest63 said:

when checking the back wheels if you find fluid leaking from the hubs you may have a leaking slave cylinder. Also check that your bleed nipples are all there.

Do you mean Master Cylinder??

Nope Slave cylinder you'll see them in the following how to guide

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If its from the drum area it could be
split rubber,loose connector on rubber hose,
missing nipple
leaking slave cylinder
possibly fluid spraying from a corroded pipe

quest63 said:
Nope Slave cylinder you'll see them in the following how to guide

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Isnt the slave cylinder located inside the gearbox :p

Anyway, more importantly ive done some fart arsing around gathering tools and parts etc and have got as far as finding a leaking wheel/brake cylinder within the drum and replacing it with a spare i had in the garage (one of the benefits of hoarding spare cars lol)

Didnt get as far as rebuilding the drum and bleeding it so dont if the problem is sorted just yet but fingers crossed!

Cheers tom and mr quest u are puma legends :thumbs:

quest63 said:
ok brake cylinders then

I know its nit picking but it confused me no end up until i got inside the drum and used my noodle

You learn something new everyday (on projectpuma) :wink:

You are absolutely correct they are commonly known as wheel / brake cylinders, I guess I just consider them to be slave cylinders, my bad :(

Its all this mechanic slang talk that makes it difficult for the newbie (me) trying to get all the lingo down :roll: !!! :lol: Onwards and upwards! ps i hate rust

Back