Buildings insurance or contents insurance

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

If a pipe has leaked behind a plasterboard wall causing the wall to start dropping to bits would this generally be classed as building or contents?

I've rung the management company who service the block of flats and they say the buildings insurance won't cover leaks within the property, however the contents insurance also say they don't cover fixed items such as walls and since this is the only visible damage they say it should be the buildings cover.

Any real world or speculative opinions welcome :grin:

I'm calling a plumber in the morning to get a proper opinion on the situation.

I remember an insurance sales man describing the difference between buildings and contents insurance as "if you could turn the building upside down anything that doesn't move is building, everything that falls is contents"
Wall is definitely buildings! :)

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to go back to the management company then as the buildings insurance is for the whole block through the service charge.

Think thats why you pay the service charge.....sounds like they are trying to wriggle out of the work, stand on them to stop the wriggling :)

red said:
[post]346310[/post] Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to go back to the management company...
It's an odd one this, as any management company would know this comes under building insurance, if only because they must have come across this before - this one is not a borderline or a grey area, but very clear. Maybe they've had too many claims in and the insurers are bumping up the premium or something.

Anyway, bit old but still valid, this is the link you'll need - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/30/30-ins.htm

I agree with Frank....sounds like they are trying to weedle their way out of any claim. Either the premium is high or has a high excess, or they don't actually have any insurance!.

I remember a company I used to work for who had a massive car insurance premium with an even bigger excess. Whenever someone damaged a car/van etc it was more than likely fixed in house or at a garage i.e. not through insurance. If it was really bad it would be parked/dumped at the back fence with all the other scrappers for 'spare parts'. Some of the vehicles I saw there nearly had me in tears as they were so new :(

Fixed item and an integral part of the fabric it's building. Ring up talk, when they tell you there name ask them to repeat it as you blasted pen has run out, then explain again, the first time they say no, say ok "whoever" I would like to speak to your supervisor, take there name and the time, try again. Key things to point out your the customer etc.if you are getting no ware try putting them in your shoes. "Have you ever had a pipe burst" ask them what it was like, it usually works.

When I had a pipe under the floor develop a pinhole leak, the whole kitchen ceiling was replaced under buildings cover. It was done by one of those big national insurance repair companies who were about as good as the chuckle brothers; complete disaster, but that's another story!

Bob

It's still leaking, apparently plumbers are busy people. No word from the management company yet either so no change :?

Often the pipe isn't covered, but the damage caused is 100% building cover. Did you approach about fixing the pipe, the damaged caused by the leak or both.

You may find the building insurance is only for consequential damage/loss not cause. So they would not do anything till the leak is fixed. That may or may not be covered by another policy or section of policy.

Best way to explain Buildings and Contents basic cover. Pipe bursts, ceiling comes down into living room and damages living room carpet, an arm chair and the laminate floor in the dining room.

You have to fix pipe (or get fixed)
Building insurance fix the ceiling and laminate floor (they are classed as part of structure of house)
Contents insurance replaces the arm chair (not the settee or other arm chair you bought at the same time) unless you have additional cover for such, and the living room carpet. (not part of the structure of house)

Back