Buying a Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROY 1.7 Thunder

Have read and heard a lot of people who are cocerned about buying a Puma that has not had the cambelt changed and seem only interested in buying the car if it has had the cambelt changed. I think this is a big mistake and you could miss out on a bargain if you think on these lines.
I would advice anyone who is interested in buying a Puma check the car has done less than 100,000 mile and has had a regular oil change.
Go and look at the car if it has no rust on the rear arches and is cosmetically sound take it for a test drive if there is no knocking noise and steers great and you like it buy it.
It is cheeper to replace the cambelt than it is to have the rust repaired to the rear wheel arches.
You only get what you pay for so look for something a little more expensive and it could save you thousands of pounds.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOU SEARCH.

Good advice with one exception.If the rear arches look perfect check with a small magnet that arches have not just been botched with filler and then nicely painted.Looked at 2 about 18 months ago one was a thunder one was a Millennium both at same dealer.I asked if I could jack them up.Both cars the rear of the sills had been badly welded and when I put a small magnet on arches and end of sills whole thing was filler.Told guy thanks for wasting my time and fuel.

ROY 1.7 Thunder said:
[post]345400[/post] Have read and heard a lot of people who are cocerned about buying a Puma that has not had the cambelt changed and seem only interested in buying the car if it has had the cambelt changed. I think this is a big mistake and you could miss out on a bargain if you think on these lines.
I would advice anyone who is interested in buying a Puma check the car has done less than 100,000 mile and has had a regular oil change.
Go and look at the car if it has no rust on the rear arches and is cosmetically sound take it for a test drive if there is no knocking noise and steers great and you like it buy it.
It is cheeper to replace the cambelt than it is to have the rust repaired to the rear wheel arches.
You only get what you pay for so look for something a little more expensive and it could save you thousands of pounds.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOU SEARCH.

No rust on arches and fixed properly = no cheap price/bargain.

ROY 1.7 Thunder said:
[post]345400[/post] Have read and heard a lot of people who are cocerned about buying a Puma that has not had the cambelt changed and seem only interested in buying the car if it has had the cambelt changed.
Where you read all that?

I've only ever seen people being advised to get the cambelt done once they own the car and are sure it hasn't been done by the previous owners at the correct mileage/age intervals.

Latest posts

Back