Buying a used 1.7 gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBastd

I am looking to buy a spare gearbox to fit an LSD to. I don't really want to change anything about the characteristics of the transmission, and assume it would be sensible to replace the bearings in the transmission when fitting the diff.

What should I be looking for with a used gearbox though? I assume all 1.7's use the same box, but given that mine is a late car, it would be sensible to at least try and find one from a digi dash vehicle?

Am I correct in thinking that the bearings should be replaced? Should anything else be replaced? And despite this, I assume I should still try to get one from the lowest mileage car available to minimise wear on the gears themselves?

Any advice or tips gratefully received.

I would of thought its the same things as if you were buying a Puma?

Notchyness, slack linkages, lack of oil, winning or crunching between the gears

Although if your buying the gearbox second hand you may not get chance to have this all checked though.

Possiable look to have the gearbox reconditioned? And maybe have 1,2nd gears hot peened as per the FRP, only as you have almost got the full frp set up from what i remember from your project thread?

Not too concerned about getting them shot peened, and when you start doing that I think the costs would spiral. Plus I am planning on keeping the 1.7's final drive, otherwise it would just be really awful on the motorway.

Back