cam belt / oil leak advise please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixpuma

Hi again, I've got an oil leak on the right hand side of my engine which I initially thought was the rocker cover seal but it isn't, so i'm assuming its either the crank or more than likely the cam shaft seals. Either way the cam belt has to come off which has only recently been fitted before the car was purchased. I've bought a cam shaft locking kit which has 3 locking pins for the crank. my questions are 1 - which pin do I use for the 1.7 engine, and 2 - when the belt is off am I right in assuming that the cam pulleys just unbolt to gain access to the oil seals or is there more involved because of the variable valve timing - are the pulleys keyed or just on a taper and rely on the cam locking tool to keep everything in check. Any reply's will be much appreciated is the Haynes fiesta manual doesn't seem to cater for this engine. ps - any ideas what the torque settings will be ?? Cheers.

Hi Mix
First off the tools you've bought are not for locking the cams or crank they are for finding TDC so no force must be put on them at all or you will snap the cams or break off the crank tool. If you PM me your E-mail address I will forward you the Ford info on changing cam belts which will give you all the info you need but read it carefully as it's easy to get it wrong.
Barry

Back