Car not starting, but battery is fine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flossregularly

Hi All,

I've had a scout round on here to see similar symptoms, so I hope this isn't a repeat of what's already on here...!

Drove the car yesterday afternoon, all good. Went to take it out last night, and nothing. Have checked battery strength, no issues. Even jump-started and had no effect. So, deffo not the battery.

It does start from a bump start down a hill though, so I guess this rules out the immobiliser and ECU - AM I RIGHT SO FAR??

There is literally no response from the car when turning the ignition (apart from dash light work as they should, and the red immobiliser light turns off after seconds). Am I right in thinking then that it is the starter motor?

Having a quick look from underneath the car, it looks like one of the black wires going into the solenoid is heavily corroded (green). If I remove the motor and solenoid, is there a simple way of testing it's dead? I don't want to shell out on a replacement if it's not the culprit.

And finally, if it's not the culprit (and if you agree it isn't battery, immobliser or ECU), what else could it be?

Cheers all - I think it's a loaded question because I'm pretty sure it's the SM, but I'm happy to be pointed in another direction...I'm hardly a mechanic!!

The starter or wiring to the starter seems likely.

If you apply power to the starter when its off the car with jump leads you should see the little wheel shoot out and spin, however whether its doing it fast enough is another matter.

There is no sweeping of the needles across the dials at all?

No dials sweeping, and now that I've removed it I can see that the braided wire from solenoid to motor is competely corroded and actually broke away as I got it out. Unless that's an additional issue, I guess that's the problem.

I did a bodge while it was out of the car to join the braided wire with the bolt where it should be held, and the motor freely spun. So, i guess I've found the fault. Even if it isn't, i need a new one!!

i've been offered one on here super-cheap by PM already, although my neighbour has just said he may have one in his lock-up. Either way, it looks like Frauds won't be getting my money which is fine with me!!

Okay, so I've discovered that there are two different types of starter motor available: a 0.8kw and 1.1kw. Does it matter which I go for, are they any different other than the power?

Don't worry (not that I think anyone was!), I found the answer on here anyway.

Starter motor replaced and back in car. Really lumpy drive when I took it for a run - then plugged in lead to MAF and it drove like it should (prat).

Back