Car won't start after battery disconnected

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flamin' 'eck

In the last week I've spent a few evenings replacing a damaged passenger wing and door. As I was unplugging electrics to do this I disconnected the battery. I've barely touched anything under the bonnet, removing the headlight, door electrics, side repeater and that's pretty much it before replacing them with good second hand ones.

All was going well but I've finished and got back in the car to drive out of the garage and it won't start. It turns over fine, the oil light goes out. Battery light stays on - not sure if that's correct until it fires up. No management light and the immobiliser red dot light stays on for a few seconds as it should then off so not immobiliser I don't think. Any ideas? As I was messing with the door could it be a cut out switch or something?

Cheers,
Jack

Ignore me. Should've searched on here more before posting. Was the fuel pump reset switch. Does it need resetting whenever the battery is disconnected?

Flamin' 'eck said:
[post]368302[/post] Does it need resetting whenever the battery is disconnected?
Nope. You must have given the A pillar a whack when you were doing the door/wing stuff.

Fuel Cut offs!!

Go back 30 years, December trip to France in the "New" Sapphire Cosworth. Magenta, Leather, the dBs. Stop off at the supermarket for all the DFs. Booze mainly, wine and a few other essentials for Xmas. As you would. Boot loaded to the gunwales.

On to Ferry at Calais, directed on to the upper section, lead car, park up, confident that it should still be there on our return!

Arrive Dover, "Drivers please return to their vehicles". Back in car, lower deck all unloaded, the ramp goes down for us at the front. We move off, down the (steep) ramp, and we bottom ! Engine stops, and would not restart! Impatient queue of cars behind, and a deck hand who wants to know why we are holding every one up!!

Think Quick!!

"It must be the fuel cut off" I say.
"Where is it ?" asks deck hand as I open the very full boot.
"Under that lot" I say, pointing at all the beer! Actually it is right under the spare wheel!

Out comes all the beer, lift carpet, prepare to remove spare, but managed to reset it by poking a brolly through the spokes!

Engine starts, reload beer, drive off feeling suitably embarrassed!

Latest posts

Back