Changing interior lights?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviiim

I'm about to do it. Green lights on the dash and everywhere else are looking outdated.

So far I put a lot of work into rest of the car to make it last another few years and I would love to make some updates for the interior too.

How many LEDs and what sizes to change?:
- dash board
- window buttons
- clock
- heater panel (3 buttons)
- interior light on top
- A/C panel

Any tips and tricks or your pure experience - post them into comments.

I'm going for white themed interior since it fits the white matte colour of my puma.

Dash/dial lights - couldn't find anything with LEDs so I soldered some with restsitors in to the holders myself with the LEDs pointing towards the dials.

Dash/LCD display (mileage) - soldered in to the holder.

Windows buttons - LEDs can be replaced but need to be cut out with replacements soldered in. Not a lot of space to do it. LEDs need to be cut/bent/shaped almost perfectly or they will jam the buttons stopping them working.

Clock - LEDs can be removed from the PCB and replaced with your own colour.

A/C panel buttons - LEDs can be removed from the PCB and replaced for your own colour.

Interior light - could probably buy an LED version but I cut a piece of PCB, soldered LEDs to it then fitted that in the light fitting. Nice and bright!

A/C panel - lit from one bulb in the middle with the light being refracted with clear plastic. LED won't make much difference. I fitted lots of LEDs all the way around the dials where the numbers and red/blue colours were. Great effect after but very time consuming and fiddly.

Fog/demister switches - as for the windows switches you need to be precise in how you replace the LEDs. Even the LED that comes on when you press the buttons can be replaced. I changed mine to red.

Based on how I did mine, I would use 3mm LEDs on everything except the dial lights which I used 5mm. 3mm MUST be used in the switches due to very limited space.

Back