Clay or Paint Cleaner?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

I haven't used Clay bars, are they an alternative or to be used along side before a polish and a wax?

They are very good at removing contaminants from your paintwork, but take alot of effort to do it properly.

It's up to you really how far you want to go.

Personally, I've found using Meguiars stage 1 - paint cleaner, 2 - polish , 3 - wax to be a very good all round cleaning system without the need for clay bars.

Guide to using Clay:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides_clean.html

As a footnote:

You should only need to do stage 1 and 2 every year or so. Adding extra layers of wax with the stage 3 is always good though.

Once a year in your 1st good spring wash, take the time to clean the paintwork with stage 1 (and a clay bar if you feel the need) to get rid of all the winters crap from your paintwork.

I did the Puma (Medium steel blue) with a meguiars quick clay kit. The paint work was ok, but in some areas it had sort of fine swirls and lines where it looked like the previous owner hadn't taken as much care as I would cleaning it.

The paintwork came up very well, I was very pleased. I had been a bit sceptical about it but each panel has a mirror finish without fine lines and blemishes. I waxed it afterwards with chemical guys xxx as recommended by Spens.

Since then it has continued to look good and I have subsequently waxed it with Einszett No1 (also recommended by Spens).

The Einszett is really easy to apply and buff off.

I have waxed the hearse with Einszett this afternoon and according to the instructions it gives about 3 months protection, so it should get through most of the winter.

What about wax? My car was probably the only un-waxed car at a busy meet earlier this year and I don't think you could tell. Am I kidding myself?

At Ford Fair? If so, yours wasn't the only one. Mine hasn't been waxed since I've got her! I think it's a bit late trying to prevent rust now :D.

I think you can tell sometimes when looking across the paintwork viewing reflections, but as a casual glance I think you wouldn't.

You can tell by the feel of the finish IMO, when you run a finger over it or throw a duster on it and see how far it travels.

Dal said:
It's up to you really how far you want to go.

Personally, I've found using Meguiars stage 1 - paint cleaner, 2 - polish , 3 - wax to be a very good all round cleaning system without the need for clay bars.

My 3 step was delivered to home last week, now I just need to find a dry day and about 5 hours to do the blasted thing! Can't wait though. Good news too that step 1 and step 2 only need doing a couple of times a year, that should save my arm muscles a bit of hassle.

I've used Meguires Paint Cleaner several times and am not impressed :-(

I get a much better result when giving the car a good hard rub with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

I'm still trying to find a good source of natural carnauba wax- without fancy packaging, unnecessary additives or a telephone number price!

Have not tried it yet but have some on order. Carnuba @ discount price. Postage only £2.00
This has to be the cheepest way to buy Carnuba
http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Product~Trad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 50050.html

Also if you fancy making your own ploish then try this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... rc=froogle

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm.. interesting links there! Might give that a whirl..

Welcome to Projectpuma by the way burn669 :eek:k:

very nice link on the wax.. don't tell everyone or there will be none come summer!!

And welcome to the site :)

I have yet to use the clay bars. I have used the Megs paint cleaner and I am more than happy/content with the results. Well worth the money. I also used the carb wax....car looked stunning...some pics on another dated Puma site,site..sorry dal/red ..!

Put them anywhere you like mate, we don't mind :)

hi, some clay bars can cause "marring" this is like an abrasion on the paint work. you have to use lots of lubricant and dont let it dry out. theres 3 different types of clay bar, coarse, medium and fine. you do have to know what your doing with them or else you can cause some damage but it is doable to correct if you do cock it up. once you have clayed you have to put a sealant or wax on the top.

Back