Clutch problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDonut

A problem has developed in my puma that I think may be related to the clutch.

When I floor the accelerator, the engine will rapidly increase in revs (almost like it is in neutral, but there is still some resistance), but the power will not be transmitted to the wheels. I notice the problem mostly in 3rd,4th and 5th gears, although it is just detectable in 2nd, but not 1st.

I would have thought that if there was a clutch problem then I would notice it most in 1st and 2nd, as this is when the acceleration is highest, and therefore the strain on the clutch would also be highest. But it is the opposite - flooring it in 1st I accelerate just fine.

It is almost as if the clutch doesn't fully engage even when my foot is completely off it, and it is slipping slightly.

Also, every now and again the engine stalls when I have stopped or am going very slow, but have the car in gear and the clutch fully down. It is like what happens when you go slow and dont press the clutch down properly.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I am hoping it won't be a full clutch replacement :)

I saw the issue once a couple of months ago then it went away (I could floor it and the power always gets transmitted correctly), but it came back thismorning. Hopefully it will go again! The only common factor is that both times it happens I parked on a hill overnight, but this probably isn't the cause.

The problem appears to have gone away now - no matter how hard I 'test' it! But every few days I feel a few slips.

After reading a few similar posts I'm not sure it is a broken clutch (as it is intermittent) - it may instead be oil contamination on the clutch plate. I think it may be engine oil, as after my recent oil change I topped it up to Max and then over the next few days the level dropped to about a third of the way between Min/Max, and is now stable around that level. The brake fluid has not dropped noticeably. This oil may have leaked onto the clutch plate.

Does anyone know what seals are between the clutch plate and the engine internals? I'm guessing there would be one around the crankshaft either before or after the flywheel.

Or any other ideas what could be causing the oil contamination, if that is even the problem?

My old clutch was intermittent like this too but was not being contaminated with oil or anything. It just did it when I was a little over eager with the throttle pedal...lol.

It didn't help that my ABS/TC wasn't working at the time as I guess as useless as the TC is it actually stops too much pressure being put on the clutch so is doing it's job even though it's a pain in the arse.

The oil seal is behind the flywheel. its a big one mounted on a plate, think it was @£25.
Oil from the gearbox, o/b driveshaft leaking seal, being thrown by rotation, fubared my clutch.

Latest posts

Back