De-rusting my front lower wings

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
I finally got around to doing something about the bottom of my front wings last weekend. From 8 years worth of stones hitting them, there was little or no paint left. Time to treat it before the rust started eating them away to a point of no return.

Before I started:
[albumimg]467[/albumimg]

A distinct lack of paint behind the wheel :(

Jacked up the car on axle stands, removed the wheels and got busy.

Started to rub them down and found the rust was just starting to get at it:

(Click for bigger picture)

A bit of rubbing down:

[albumimg]370[/albumimg]
[albumimg]372[/albumimg]

A bit more work with the wet 'n' dry:
[albumimg]371[/albumimg]

Then gave it a coat in this:
[albumimg]379[/albumimg]

[albumimg]373[/albumimg]

Waited for that to dry - smoothed it out a bit and gave it another coat. Smoothed that with some finer wet 'n' dry and left it to cure for a couple of hours.

Then to the topcoat. I bought the Ford twin pack of paint and lacquer as IMO the paint colour is a better match than Halfords etc.
[albumimg]374[/albumimg]

Repeated a couple of times, leaving 30 minutes between coats. I then left the last coat until the next day as by now it was getting late. The paint looked fairly dark next to the original - was a bit worried about the match.

Next morning I put on the lacquer in a few thin coats and it brought the colour to a pretty good match:
[albumimg]375[/albumimg]

I then waited about 3 hours whilst the laquer hardened in the sunshine before fitting the mudflaps. Not going to get that all stone chipped again!
[albumimg]376[/albumimg]

And on the back as I think the car looks better balanced with mudflaps front and back rather than just front:
[albumimg]377[/albumimg]

Did a few rust spots around the car whilst I was waiting for primer / top coat / lacquer to dry:

Had to actually file most of the rust away on this one! Then Kurust:
[albumimg]378[/albumimg]

Then topcoat and lacquer.

Looks better than it did anyway. Hopefully will last more than a couple of months as well.

It does look good. :eek:k: You wouldn't know it'd been done unless you knew what to look for.

Next just is sorting some of the rust out on my little rust-bucket!

Updated the 1st post with a pre-treatment picture I've found.

;)

Latest posts

Back