DVLA V5 issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtq

Ok my parents called me to tell me theyve had a letter notifying me of a fine from the DVLA for failing to notify them of the change of owner of a car.

The thing is this car is a RS2000 I either sold or scrapped (I really cant remember which) circa 1999-2000 (hence the letter coming to my parents address as thats where I lived back then), I know the rules changed in 2002, Im 99% certain that the law that I would be held to is the law that applied at the time of sale, not the current rules.

But Ive got no memory at all of what the rules or procedures were for selling cars back then, I want to contact the DVLA as soon as possible to see what can be done, but I remember absolutely nothing about the sale, who i sold it to, where I sold it, or anything. Im about 90% certain I would have followed the rules inforce at the time, but obviously somethings not gone right as they are chasing me now.

Anyone know where I stand, and what the correct procedure was back then, and what the penalties were for not following them?

If you can legitimately state that you followed the procedure at the time you'll be fine.

Problem is if you don't remember, you can't really make that case.

i had some silly fine when i scrapped my puma, had to pay £80 was a joke even though we sent all the paperwork off to them notifying them we had scrapped it :\

Its true they never want to reason with you, we even gave them the tracking number for Royal Mail!

You filled in the new keeper section of the V5 a posted it to them promptly....didn't you! :wink:

what happened to the paperwork after you sent it to THEM, you have no knowledge of!

BTW if it's not been re-registered since you had it in 99/2000 have they been chasing you for tax/sorn delerations for all that time?

Back