engine rattle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

For a while I have had a really bad rattle when accelerating. Only above 3000 rpm only when accelerating. Its nothing drive shaft related coz I've had this problem before. Its now doing it when idling. Really worrying.
Any ideas ? :(

At least doing it while idleing rules out the drive train.

Could be an exhaust heat sheild?

That's what I'm thinking. Will check when I get to work as still driving. Hope its something minor can't afford any big problems at the moment :(

Haven't done any investigating yet. My break is at 11 so will look then. Is the exhaust heat shield at the back of the engine??

:shock: That is a serious 'rattle'

What's your oil level like? Has it been left to get too low?

When my big end was failing the noise was un-mistakable..

Hold on..

Last time I had to describe that noise, I did so as follows:

The 'death rattle' well I didn't listen to it for long but it could be described as: Reasonably loud audible whilst driving knocking directly from the block area, a knocking from the bottom... a kind of clattering; a bit like a "very loud cold tappet noise of old". Hope that clarifies a bit.

Car does use oil but I do anywhere between 500 and 1000 mile a week. I'm startin to think the worst now... :(

red said:
Last time I had to describe that noise, I did so as follows:

The 'death rattle' well I didn't listen to it for long but it could be described as: Reasonably loud audible whilst driving knocking directly from the block area, a knocking from the bottom... a kind of clattering; a bit like a "very loud cold tappet noise of old". Hope that clarifies a bit.

That about sums it up

:( :( :( :(

I'm starting to think worse case solution is new engine, if I keep driving inevitably ill need one anyway.....bang!
Just rang my mate and he said he would do me an engine and fit for £500, does that sound reasonable???

That sounds like a very good price if the replacement engine has got even average miles on it.

The other way to describe the 'death rattle', (by Dal) is like a bag of spanners being shaken up. His old one did.

Is it strange it only does it at over 3000 revs and only when foot is on avvelerator. Lift off and it stops

I'm on the m1 stuck in standstill traffic 13miles to go praying it gets home.......I really give up now the love has gone again :(

benking said:
Is it strange it only does it at over 3000 revs and only when foot is on avvelerator. Lift off and it stops

That doesn't sound like a "death rattle" scenario. More like some cover / shield vibrating at a certain resonance of the engine.

Latest posts

Back