Exhaust Back Box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper65

Just noticed in the last couple of days a slight blowing coming from the rear box! checked it over and its looking like its past its sell by date.

I checked on Ebay and came across a few for a decent price and thought I'll do it myself, the question is I can't find the join from the old box? I have been under thew car with a wire brush looking for where the back box joins but nothing? I'm now thinking is it a good idea to buy one incase I can't fit the new box onto the old exhaust :?.

Original exhaust comes in one-piece from the "Flexi-Pipe" connection. You need to get the replacement backbox first, then measure up where to cut the existing pipe to backbox.

Thanks for the info YOG :thumbs:. will the exhaust flange on the new box still fit over the old exhaust? will the Diameter on the old exhaust when cut be smaller to fit into the new Flange?

The new box should fit over the existing pipe. I had the original exhaust on mine and had to cut it to fit a performance rear box. I then had that removed and a standard box fitted which went straight on without a problem.

Much apreciated Topman :thumbs:. Just been ringing around Norwich for a few quotes and gobsmacked at some of the prices for a backbox fitted, one place quoted me £30 + VAT :roll:.

I take it the other thing I'll need is the right size clamp? also would I need any sealer to apply to the joint?

I fitted the performance box myself. I just bought a tube of exhaust/joint sealer. It is like a paste but sets when it gets hot from the exhaust.
The right size clamp is certainly useful! Cant remember what size, but wherever you get the exhaust from should be able to supply the right size.
As I used to live in Norwich, I got the original box (after the performance box) fitted at Wilco's, Reepham Rd (The boundry junction end). I'm sorry I can't help you by saying how much it cost though!

I have a standard box sitting here I want to get rid of, but I can assure you it would cost more in postage/petrol to collect it than it would to buy one!!

Back