exhaust problem, baffle, car keeps trying to grow a ponytail

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard back from Bosal today and they say its a mild steel tailpipe.However its still a bargain and still looks good imo.

I have a Bosal on mine I didnt put it on in the 18 months I've had it so its at least a couple of years old and its still functionally fine it just has a tatty looking tailpipe which I've not been able to find a trim for.

http://www.projectpuma.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just picked it up today from euro car parts, I tried to upload more images but it wouldn't do it and didn't give an error message.
Check out the link to my album above for pics.

The standard price is £30.42 but I used the voucher code PARTS20 and got 20% off bringing it down to £24.34, get the C-Clamp at the same time. Put the voucher code in and click reserve and collect. Simples! Very cheap :D.

Exhaust feels well built, sturdy (not that I'm an expert on exhausts) and of good quality.

Going to fit it on Friday, first time for me so if you have any tips they'd be well received. I was advised to buy some exhaust putty on another thread by the infamous Flying Scotsman, but when I've read up on it, it seems to be for patching holes in exhausts, can I get some clarification on where I use this in the process of replacing the silencer, is it to apply it down the outsides of the new silencer before fitting for some sort of bond or something?

Much appreciated,
Will

The exhaust putty / paste is to seal the joint between the silencer and the rest of the exhaust. I have one of these exhausts on my car and its mostly fine,however the tailpipes really rusty.

If I could find a stainless tailpipe trim to fit it I would have paid the cost of this exhaust just for a tailpipe trim but I cant :(

When I get round to getting one of these I am going to spray the taipipe with clear heat resistant laquer,and I am going to paint the rest of it with heat resistant paint including inside the tailpipe to keep the rust at bay and it looking good.

Yeah I picked up some heat resistant black paint from halfrauds today, gonna paint the sucker now!

Just 1 thing to say about the fitting of this exhaust, you may need to cutdown the rear hanger a small amount to stop it hitting the bumper. Your most difficult job will be getting the old one off, They can require a bit of persuasion & twisting.

Elaborating on that, do you mean hammering the sh** out of it until it pops off? :)
And the rear hanger I take it is the hanger the rubber band thing slots on to?

Yes hammer the sh** out of it, and the rear hanger is the thing the rubber band slots on to
tekz said:
Elaborating on that, do you mean hammering the sh** out of it until it pops off? :)
And the rear hanger I take it is the hanger the rubber band thing slots on to?

Can I hammer it with a metal hammer? I don't have a mallet...

Painted =
image.php

Good job well worth the effort. I would wrap it in bubble wrap or something so no paint scrapes off when fitting :thumbs:

That will be fine, you will have no problems fitting the new one on. It slots on easy as you like.
tekz said:
Can I hammer it with a metal hammer? I don't have a mallet...

Painted =
image.php

Thanks guys, one last question before I bang this on that I've had 2 different answers about, one c-clamp or two?

Exhaust is on, looking beautiful, and car has smoothened down somewhat, not to mention the BLARing noise is gone, and MPG has gone up. Amazing!

Did notice the rest of the exhaust system was stainless and looking cushdy, c-clamps on the rest of the exhaust were rusted and rotten so might have to change them round to new ones at some point.

High points: Hammering the shit out of my exhaust to remove it, rusted old hardened exhaust putty flying in all directions, neighbors wtfing!; finished product working and looking awesome!

Low points: realising eurocarparts gave me the wrong hanger rubbers; old c-clamp seizing, breaking and then getting stuck in my torx screw driver; rusty dust in eye ;'(; the end hanger on the react exhaust are a bit too long, will need to cut it at some point!

Enjoyed it!

Thanks for the help and advice,
tekz
:thumbs:

Good job :wink: , a whole lot easyer than my next job. Ive got to change the engine in my 52plate due to a cracked head :cry:

Latest posts

Back