Factory fitted amp questions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siboyslim

Hi all,

Just picked up a new Puma and I'm just going through some little jobs, one of which is the speaker quality.

Mine has the amp in the boot and the extra speakers by the back seats, but the sound quality is shocking! The rear speakers are distorting badly at normal sound levels. I can fade them Out on the stereo and the front ones sound normal.

It gets stranger, if you unplug the amp nothing happens and the stereo keeps playing sound through the speakers? So it can't be connected right?

I pulled out the stereo to look for the outputs for the amp and there is just the standard power and speaker connectors, the ISO plug if you like. I also can't any connections not in use to plug the amp in?

Does anyone have any experience of the factory fit system?

Attachments

• 20170129_133650.jpg
    20170129_133650.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20170129_133710.jpg
    20170129_133710.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20170129_133721.jpg
    20170129_133721.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 113
I think that's normal! I've just fitted the system from a scrap car, and the amp isn't very powerful. If you unplug it all that happens is the amount of bass drops. I kept on thinking it was broken! Sounded even worse when I upgraded the fronts as it just made the back seem even worse. Next step will be upgrading the rear speakers

XAF said:
[post]360047[/post] I think that's normal! I've just fitted the system from a scrap car, and the amp isn't very powerful. If you unplug it all that happens is the amount of bass drops. I kept on thinking it was broken! Sounded even worse when I upgraded the fronts as it just made the back seem even worse. Next step will be upgrading the rear speakers

Ha cheers for clearing that up :grin:

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]360048[/post] Out of interest, how much does that amp cost?

New they were a £900 option I think, I paid £60 :grin:

this is killer stuff. Granted, only stereo, but truly amazing amp.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-125-2-car-amplifier-Old-School-/152415109347?hash=item237ca600e3:g:1jsAAOSwo4pYjhen
This also. Very small in size, but great sounding:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-2bX-EDEL-Verstarker-Amplifier-aus-USA-150-W-/252728894321?hash=item3ad7d0e371:g:GocAAOSwRMRYTdbj
Or this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-360a2-/132079474516?hash=item1ec08cd754:g:OzAAAOSw2xRYfMeY

If you can get 4 channel, go for it; any here is light years better than any Ford stuff....

siboyslim said:
[post]360041[/post]
It was a dealer fit option called Platinum that cost £350 and one came with my car, which luckily works fine and can be pretty loud, if I want it to be.

What you're getting is what I'd expect, if you put too little power through those big rear speakers (i.e. your amp is not working) then they will distort heavily. Amusingly, if you put too much power through ratty little speakers then that will also cause distortion. This ICE stuff is a fine balance.

Frank said:
[post]360056[/post]
siboyslim said:
[post]360041[/post]
It was a dealer fit option called Platinum that cost £350 and one came with my car, which luckily works fine and can be pretty loud, if I want it to be.

What you're getting is what I'd expect, if you put too little power through those big rear speakers (i.e. your amp is working) then they will distort heavily. Amusingly, if you put too much power through ratty little speakers then that will also cause distortion. This ICE stuff is a fine balance.

I've been experimenting with the levels and seem to be reaching a happy medium :grin:

If anybody has one if these amps going spare, I take it of there hands, just pm with details and price.

Latest posts

Back