Fan tuns off when ignition on.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikkidPuma

Hi, have a 1999 1.7, wired a switch Into pin 17 (disconnected from ecu) of the Tape ecu which should be the high speed fan relay. Fan comes on when switched only when the car is off.
However, when the ignition Is on and/or the car is running the fan turns off.
Any ideas would be massive. Thanks.

Hi, I have never done that in this car but looking at the wiring diagram that shouldn't be happening, it is pretty straightforward. Being the K46 the high speed relay and the K45 the low speed relay (I only have the spanish version) if you take out the K45 same thing happens? I assume that you had a problem with the fan activation so you installed the switch.
IMG_20230327_113841_1.jpg

Hi, I have never done that in this car but looking at the wiring diagram that shouldn't be happening, it is pretty straightforward. Being the K46 the high speed relay and the K45 the low speed relay (I only have the spanish version) if you take out the K45 same thing happens? I assume that you had a problem with the fan activation so you installed the switch.
View attachment 9900
K45 removed and still does the same thing,, f24 (15 amp) removed and lights on dash come up I can then put fan on but the car doesn't start, and cuts out if I take it out while running.

View attachment 9900puma rally project so need fan on dash =D

The F28 feeds the PATS system too, which is the inmobilizer and also the fuel pump relay that is why the engine stops, so let me see if I got it right, taking out the F28 you can activate the fan with the switch no matter the key is on or not?

The F28 feeds the PATS system too, which is the inmobilizer and also the fuel pump relay that is why the engine stops, so let me see if I got it right, taking out the F28 you can activate the fan with the switch no matter the key is on or not?
Correct

Yes, you have to check first on the K46 conector in the relay box with the relay out on pins 2 (this one specially) and pin 3 or pins 30 and 86 if there is positive when you turn the key on, there might not be numbers on the relay box but there should be on the relay itself.

When switch is on and car is off, pin 1 shows 12v to ground
Yes, you have to check first on the K46 conector in the relay box with the relay out on pins 2 (this one specially) and pin 3 or pins 30 and 86 if there is positive when you turn the key on, there might not be numbers on the relay box but there should be on the relay itself.
When car is off and Switch is on, pin 1 receives 12v. pin 2 receives 0v.

When car is on pin 1 receives 12v. Pin 2 receives 12v also.

Back