Fatttty's FRP #401 - Underbody restoration and rebuild

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue3 said:
Big redd did mine, they are really good

Simon

Lol i know mate.. I copied you! Yours looked awesome and for the price it was rude not to!

Alex

absolutely
one thing I may have done in hindsight was to apply a clear laquer to further protect the plating as it does dull a bit when it gets wet

Simon
Fatttty said:
Blue3 said:
Big redd did mine, they are really good

Simon

Lol i know mate.. I copied you! Yours looked awesome and for the price it was rude not to!

Alex

Little more progress!

Got the final colour nailed and painted the boot floor and chassis legs over the weekend. I'd originally wanted to use Ford Dove Grey, but after a quick first coat I didn't like it so made my own pale grey colour. Its difficult to tell the colour in the photos cos of the work lights and the garage being dark. But it looks great in the light so hopefully will look nice, bright and clean.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

Made my new rear brake lines from the copper tubing I'd brought a few weeks back with some help from my uncle.

Old V's New-

IMG_1890.jpg

New stainless brake line connectors-

IMG_1889.jpg

Started to sort through all the clips and parts I've picked up from Fords the last few months. Here's just a few that are needed to replace most of what I have removed so far lol

IMG_1894.jpg

This week I'll be sanding the old paint off the fuel and brakelines running down the centre of the car before giving them a quick coat of paint, also need to seal and paint my rear arches. My rear axle should be back this side of Christmas so I can hopefully start piecing her back together again around January :)

Alex

Thought I had best update this thread as its rather out of date now. The car has come quite a way since I last updated this thread so I'll keep it as short as possible.

I finished the underbody of the car and rebuilt the rear axle, brakes, fuel tank was replaced etc. The whole underside was painted in the Ford Dove Grey effect paint for originality.

I then had the wheels stripped and powdercoated, fitted 909 metal valves and caps. Had Yoko Parada tyres fitted even had the tyre brand aligned with the valves cos I am sad like that!

I had the steering wheel retrimmed in original FRP material, also had the remaining sections trimmed in a grey leather to match the airbag casing.

Seeing as the paint and body were all extremely good, the underside was now finished and the interior was pretty well in order I turned my attention to the engine bay.

Started by stripping and removing most of the easy to remove items such as battery, battery tray, airbox, throttle body, a lot of old wiring covering and tape and lots of other bits I cant remember now.

Reconditioned the engine mount-

Stripped by TB and rebuilt using plated bolts and fixings-

Painted engine cover-

Every bolt that was removed was eoither replaced for new or plated in OEM yellow passivate finish-

Refurbished wiper motor and linkage-

Fitted new track rod ends, ARB link arms, top mounts and front suspension-

Fitted new header tank as the old one had gone yellowy-

New bonnet catch was stripped and all springs and clips plated-

Took the car to see Chris Allison for a caliper refurb. Had the Alcons stirpped and rebuilt with stainless bolts, new Textar pads and Hi-Spec bell rotor frotn disc setup. Amazing work from Chris, really top bloke.

Work continued on the engine bay and most of my concentration was on that to get it as good as possible could without resorting to removing the block entirely.

Fully painted the gearbox and fitted plated bolts and fixings-

Removed all the old cable coverings and old fabric wiring tape old stuff-

Fitted new conduit covering and new fabric tape to 90% of the engine bay wiring-

Radiators were removed to gain access to the bay and to clean more. Also decided to fit new radiator and air ocnditioning condensor whilst they were off anyway-

New radiators-

Also fitted brand new original Bosch headlights as my originals were dull and scuffed-

After completing all the work I took a punt and entered in to the Modified concours class at Ford Fair 2013. To my suprised I came away with 1st prize was totally blown away!

Pre Ford Fair clean-

Taped up (to prevent stone chips) ready for the journey to Ford Fair.. I got al ittle carried away with the 3M blue tape lol

And photos at Ford Fair-

An awful photo of me that Aaron Bentley took with my trophy!

Thats it all up to date, this winter will see some more changes and improvements so I will hopefully remember to keep you all up to date with the progress!

Comments and critism welcome!

Alex

red said:
:cool: awesome.

That's one very clean car you have!

Thank you :)

Got some new parts to add and refurbish over the winter so she should be even better come next 2014

Ha ha ha, and you seriously think id ever get my car anywhere near this standard lol!! :eek: You have no worries there mate, your car is flawless!! Your attention to detail is impeccable!!

Wow your FRP looks great, and thanks for the how to, am going to do somthing similar to my std puma. Where did you get the Puma plates ?, I'd like to get a set of them. Anyway great thread.

PumaNoob said:
Ha ha ha, and you seriously think id ever get my car anywhere near this standard lol!! :eek: You have no worries there mate, your car is flawless!! Your attention to detail is impeccable!!

Haha thanks Errol :) i really need to drop over to yours soon. Need to bring back that air con tool I borrowed and also have a chat about the plating you wanted me to get done for you.

rnnicol said:
Wow your FRP looks great, and thanks for the how to, am going to do somthing similar to my std puma. Where did you get the Puma plates ?, I'd like to get a set of them. Anyway great thread.

Thanks, PM if you need any help or advice on how to tackle various things.

The plates I had made by a friend of mine who works in sign writing. I basically got the Puma logo online and copied the press release plates they used in the brochures and had them printed onto a sheet of plastic that was cut to size and Velcro's in place.

Alex

yippeekiay said:
:shock: Fantastic :eek:k:

Thank you :) will get some new updates uploaded as they happen. Been to Ford today to pick up new bolts for the front subframe, wishbones and ARB ready for the front end rebuild.

Alex

That is simply stunning!

This is something that I really need to do with my Puma in order to try and keep it in decent condition.

blaine said:
That is simply stunning!

This is something that I really need to do with my Puma in order to try and keep it in decent condition.

Thank you!

Lots been happening the past 4 months. Here some updates I have been working on refurbishing the font end of the car-

I dropped the subframe and stripped off the ARB. Just the steering rack left to come off and then everything can go off to be soda blasted :)

Had the bushes pressed out the torque link and wishbones and the front hub bearings also removed ready.

Alex

Latest posts

Back