Flaky Bumper and rusty spots

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSparta

Hi chaps,

Ive got this big gap in the paint of my bumper, What would you suggest I should try/do to put this right as its a bit off an eyesore but id rather try and avoid spending hundreds of quid on getting a respray

Also got some rust developing on the sills on the drivers side. Any suggestions? I think this will need some weld-work as it appears to be getting pretty bad.

Cheers

Drivers step wants grinding back to bare metal, treating and painting.
Bumper needs a flat and paint.

You could get a rattle can of paint colour matched quite cheaply.

Thanks for the response,

Would a rattle can cover both areas? Im assuming something like Hammerite to treat the metal before repainting?

ok so im gonna have a crack at this rusty sills this weekend weather pending. It means peeling back the metal step trim though. Any recommendations on what I should use to re-glue this thing back down?

If you don't have welding gear I would suggest leaving this alone as it's too far gone to rub down and repaint. Even if you are skilled with paint and filler this will start bubbling again in a couple of weeks.
Sos to be the bringer of bad tidings.
Barry

Well i gave the exposed area a sanding and ive got it pretty smooth now to be fair. After that i struck it with a screwdriver a few times and it didnt punch straight through so im guessing the rust didnt get too deep.

Im probably going to have a crack at fixing it anyway as it appears rather then the metal rusting from under, the paint has been chipped at some point and the exposed surface metal has been allowed to oxidise.

I think with some Hydrate 80 or similar, primer and respray I can get this looking decent.

But going back to my original question, those metal step panels, perhaps silicone to reattach them?

I've used meany things to attach the sill plates on cars mostly after market ones, but double sided carpet tape can do it depending on thickness, or you can buy a double sided sticky strip purposely made for the job. The reason I always went for that method was that they can be removed in the future for whatever reason you may need to, with very little effort. However you can go down the glueing or silicone route there are many types you can use, one of my mates even used no nails on his, it work for a short time before vibrations cracked it and it came loose lol :-D

Dr@c said:
I've used meany things to attach the sill plates on cars mostly after market ones, but double sided carpet tape can do it depending on thickness, or you can buy a double sided sticky strip purposely made for the job. The reason I always went for that method was that they can be removed in the future for whatever reason you may need to, with very little effort. However you can go down the glueing or silicone route there are many types you can use, one of my mates even used no nails on his, it work for a short time before vibrations cracked it and it came loose lol :-D

For a split second I thought you said he used nails to fix it down :pinkeye: :-D

I didnt think double sided strips would be strong enough to keep it held down. Do you think Halords would have something like this?

MaxSparta said:
Dr@c said:

For a split second I thought you said he used nails to fix it down :pinkeye: :-D

I didnt think double sided strips would be strong enough to keep it held down. Do you think Halords would have something like this?

Indeed I did say no nails lol :pinkeye: :D

It always held firm for me when I used them, I never had issues. You should always use a good quality one, not sure if Halfrauds would do them I usually got mine from a motor factors or online. Others may disagree with me on this but I never had any issues. :grin:

I think I may have misread this all together, but I got some nice sill plates myself from halfords, equipped with the double sided tape to hold them down. It's very strong stuff and won't lift, but should you want to remove them, a bit of heat and a screwdriver underneath gets them off without bringing paint with it.

Back