Fog light lenses

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roomy

Something I've been meaning to do for a long time are clean down and re-laquer my fog light lenses. Unfortunately the bottom screw heads are that corroded I can't get the buggers out through fear of damaging something.
image.jpg
What would be the easiest/most effective way to get it out? I've thought about 2 possibilities: Chisel and a flat head driver or use a dremel to cut off the plastic tag and glue back on for refitting? Obviously I'll be replacing the screws anyway.
Hanz

Same thing happened on mine. Best bet is to drill off the screw head to get the light out of the way, and then carfully use the dremel to remove the captive fixing

Yep, as above, drill the head off, it also gives you much more room to work on the remains then with the light out of the way

Thank you XAF and zinc! Mostly for not being condescending like that last unnecessary comment sounded :?

I replaced the right hand fog unit on the millie last night and noticed the bottom screw was rather corroded. Luckily I had a screwdriver with attitude and it finally came out, but might be worth us having a look at these and removing them and refitting with a coat of copper grease if they still move....cause they wont one day otherwise.

Your probably right
redexr said:
[post]353350[/post] might be worth us having a look at these and removing them and refitting with a coat of copper grease if they still move....cause they wont one day otherwise.
I'll give it a good go first with a bigger driver then if no luck I'll drill them off. I try to use any means that prevents me getting HAVS :lol: Hopefully I'll only need to laquer and replace them once with a good slug of grease.
Cheers redex
Hanz

I've got a 2002 puma 1.7, I was thinking of drilling big holes in the front bumper abd mounting the mk4 fiesta zetec s fog lamps in there and then run them to a fog switch from the fiesta mounted in my blank switch on the dash. Is that a good idea or is it best to mount them next to the grill on the lower front bumper ?

I initially had the same idea and to place them either side the lower grill, same place as they are on the fiesta. But the curvature of the bumpers different so may take some fixing, decided on DRLs for now but may do the same mod in the future of I get hold of a spare bumper :grin:

Can't really see from the pic but if you could get a pair of pliers in behind, you may find the slip nut (or whatever you want to call it) may just disintegrate.
I have done the same thing a few times, bit of a jiggle of the screw and it should pull out.

PS: Don't quote me on this ;)

I've sorted my rear foglights now thanks, I drilled the bottom screws out which melted the plastic tags so cut them all off with a hacksaw and replaced with metal ones James revived the thread asking about front fogs..

Latest posts

Back