Digi dash back-lighting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This may be of interest to some people. So, for those people wanting to change the back lighting of the digi part of the dash, here are a few pictures to help you on your way....

Firstly, we start by removing the inner board. On the reverse of the dial unit, remove the small star screws and remove the plastic cover.
Gently prize the board out. It will be held in by the connections for the temp gauge, speedo and fuel gauge.
Carefully remove the black plastic surround from the LCD display. It is clipped at the top and at the bottom. The bottom being the hardest to remove.

temporary_zps2db22353.jpg

Gently lift of the top edge of the LCD display. Now, with something thin and sharp (I used a stanley blade) remove the white plastic backing from under the display. It should be stuck around the edges, but not in the middle.
Be very careful not to scratch the display. Patience is the key here.
Once you've got it unstuck, remove with a pair of tweezers, or the like.

temporary_zps822dc81d.jpg

Now, the back of the white plastic doesn't look very green, but if you start to scrape it, this is what you will see:

temporary_zpsd61cf22f.jpg

Find something suitable to scrape away the colouring which won't scratch the plastic. If you scratch or mark it too much, it will show through when it lights up.
When you have done, you will end up with a piece of plastic, white on each side.
Gently slide the plastic back under the LCD display. If you've left the small amount of sticky round the edge of it, it should stay in place when you put it back in.

Once all back together, the display can now be lit whatever colour you like.
I poked an LED through the bulb holder hole in the back, so we can see what difference we have made:

White:
temporary_zps486433b8.jpg

Red:
temporary_zps66dcb3a6.jpg

temporary_zpsdde94c46.jpg

If you chose to use an LED, you need a wide angle/straw hat LED as these dissipate the light better. A standard LED lights from the tip of it, so you will end up with a bright 'blob' of light on your display.

Nice bit of info there mate.
I'm more mechanical but need to sort out my digi lighting. When i bought the car it had already been converted to blue LED in the dash. The digi part flashes all the time which is quite annoying to say the least. With this post it gives me some idea of what to look at.

The thing is with the flashing it does not seem to be a loose wire so there must be something else wrong. Just need to find out what :?

It's probably some control module somewhere. If it's something like that it may come up on my diagnostics machine, but that's unlikely i guess. May just be 'one of those things' that can't be explained.

Back