Fog light use

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Please people; don't use your fog lights when they're not needed! The clue is in the name. They're not:

it's a bit dark lamps
I can't see to the end of the universe lamps
i'm half asleep so you must be too lamps
there's a tiny bit of mist lamps

If visability were that bad, should you be doing 90mph down the outside lane?

:evil:

From the Highway Code:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)
keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
use your windscreen wipers and demisters
beware of other drivers not using headlights
not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

:crazy:

People always turn their front ones on for no reason typically and the rear ones when it's a bit misty and visibility has been reduced to 20,000 yards I find.

People without their lights on at all in the dark (or a light out) seems to be a far more common problem to me!

crystalpuma said:
People without their lights on at all in the dark (or a light out) seems to be a far more common problem to me!
Well it will be more common as it does tend to get dark every night, not necessarily foggy :roll:

If only there was a car with headlights that automatically turn on when it gets dark...
scratchchin.gif

Neil said:
If only there was a car with headlights that automatically turn on when it gets dark...
scratchchin.gif

You could make a fortune with that idea!

:lol:

Now if only they could make a car turn its fog lights on when the conditions are appropriate.

I've just come back over the M62 tonight, bit of fog for a few miles = lights on by most people for the rest of the journey.

My 2006 focus st has auto lights, wipers etc so hardly cutting edge lol

My 2003 Megane has auto lights, auto dim mirror, auto wipers :roll: a decade old soon.

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)

The problem is that most people don't actually realise what is required.

Adding your fog lights to your headlights when it is really foggy (dense) achieves nothing bar a nice warm feeling.

In those conditions you have to switch the effing headlights OFF!

There are even some manufacturers who set up their switching to make this impossible.

I did four hours back from Manchester in the fog last night, about forty minutes, through Lincolnshire, on foglights alone.

I was the only one I saw.

Indeed Rob, I saw one chap doing this this morning (unnecessarily)

A lot of people don't know that this is recommended to improve visibility in heavy fog.

This reminds me, I was driving home in very dense fog on Friday and at times could actually see more with side lights on only (due to the precise level of the thickest layer of fog) but had to keep switching dipped beam back on for oncoming cars as presumably I would have been less visible to them...I wasn't really sure this was the right thing to do, and as it got darker it stopped helping anyway. Even ended up doing 30 in a 60 for a bit! (it's not nearly that bad 'my' side of the Thames :lol: )

too much light in heavy fog means you just get glare so yes less lights sometimes means better visibility.

fog lights round here are known as "CHAV lights" or "w*nker lights" as every boy racer seems to have them on all the time to try and look "cool"

My mate bought a 106 as a run around and it had the front fogs wired into the dipped beam circuit so they always came on! had to fix the wiring for him.

Having had cars with and without front fogs, i dont miss them at all in the puma.

Latest posts

Back