Front Strut Bearing tightness??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PH03NIX

Hey all!!
I have already read that the torque for the strut nut above the bearing should be at 59nm (im sure i also read 44 somewhere, but dont quote).
Have recently replaced both.
Before dismantling old i rotated bearing by hand and this spun quite free with with no force (like spining one of those spinner thingys).

When fitting new i tighten down nut without torque wrench.... the strut piece is just too long... so 18mm spanner it was
Tighten to what felt right.. checked ... the bearing did rotate at all
I thought this was off so loosen nut a bit until the bearing (mainly the silver outer edge) could turn but not so freely...

I ask which is correct???
(I have installed already but not an issue to do again)

Phoenix

Observation:
After only 1 week, one side began knocking. 'This was the side that was left (slightly) looser and able to rotate by hand but not so freely.

Conclusion:
The 18mm strut nut above the bearing will tighten a certain amount before catching the bearing causing it to also rotate as you tighten the nut. (I used spanner not torque wrench)
At that point i rotated 4 more full turns. I found the nut will not actually tighten down any further and instead will continue to spin at that point.
The bearing has now sat a little tighter and has a much more firm and smooth rotation.

:cool:

Latest posts

Back