FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeedFreak said:
Looking good,shouldn't be too long now before the big switch on!! :p
Quite suprising that the engines are the same size,hopefully the weight isnt too much different either.I suppose they are both ali block, so there cant be too much difference!

It would be interesting to know the exact weight of the two engines with the gearbox and all the ancillaries. Ive got some scales for a engine crane Erroll if you want to borrow them?

Cant wait for this to be on the road. Straight to pod i say :wink:

I think fatdonga might be right, the duratec does feel slightly heavier, but only 1 way to find out!!

VVC MINI said:
It would be interesting to know the exact weight of the two engines with the gearbox and all the ancillaries. Ive got some scales for a engine crane Erroll if you want to borrow them?

Cant wait for this to be on the road. Straight to pod i say :wink:

Id need them scales like asap, you cant weigh an engine once its fitted, and your goin alton towers tomorrow arent you, and i cant really wait that long, as you know!!!

Straight to pod with brand new engine build, new piston rings ect??? Come on now, you just want to destroy my engine so i dont give you a whooping!!! :lol: Definitely cant wait to get it on the strip though, try and beat my 14.1, im looking for 13.9 or better!!

PumaNoob said:
Straight to pod with brand new engine build, new piston rings ect??? Come on now, you just want to destroy my engine so i dont give you a whooping!!! :lol: Definitely cant wait to get it on the strip though, try and beat my 14.1, im looking for 13.9 or better!!

Fair point but im sure you will have the engine run in pretty quickly. Took me less than a week to cover 500mile :lol:
Then turn the boost up and to pod we go.
You've set your target at 13.9! Your target should be 13.7 or better as ill still be king if you don't beat that!

Wopped by a Rover with a Charley Chan turbo! :cool:

VVC MINI said:
PumaNoob said:

Fair point but im sure you will have the engine run in pretty quickly. Took me less than a week to cover 500mile :lol:
Then turn the boost up and to pod we go.
You've set your target at 13.9! Your target should be 13.7 or better as ill still be king if you don't beat that!

Wopped by a Rover with a Charley Chan turbo! :cool:

Hee hee!!! :lol: :lol:

This build has cost me thousands, im not going to be happy if i get nailed by a 15year old engine with a charlie Chan turbo on it!! Buty then you didnt get the 13.7 with the charlie chan, you might get a quicker time and then ill be screwed!! :( ! Thats when ill have to take drastic measures, methanol injection, full boost, interior ditched, and spoiler off!! Ill even make my car remote control so it hasnt got to carry my weight!!!

Remote control sounds like a good idea. You could always sit in my car and control it looking out the rear window :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehe! Don't think you will get nailed tbf. Will be a good race ill have it back on the road the end of the month. Will have to give your green puma a run see what this turbo is like!

VVC MINI said:
Remote control sounds like a good idea. You could always sit in my car and control it looking out the rear window :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehe! Don't think you will get nailed tbf. Will be a good race ill have it back on the road the end of the month. Will have to give your green puma a run see what this turbo is like!

Ha ha, you joker!! Only way ill be able to control it looking out the rear window of your car is if your driving in reverse!!!! :lol:

Yeah, if we race my green puma, ill put the video up on here, as a comparison to when you get a whooping from the racing puma!! Not sure when our private air field is available next though! :wink:

Any more updates on this, looking forward to some results on this, im tempted to go the same route with my puma if this all works out! Waiting for you to iron out the creases though!!

So i thought another update was in order, its been a while!! Appologies in advance for the picture quality, i only had my phone to hand. If anybody wants any better photos just let me know and ill get proper pics took!

Engine is in and all mounts are made.

IMG00326-20111027-1826.jpg

IMG00325-20111027-1820.jpg

IMG00316-20111025-1548.jpg

Suspension came back from gaz after a refurb! All fitted with hub adaptors

IMG00318-20111026-1655.jpg

IMG00323-20111027-1705.jpg

IMG00324-20111027-1736.jpg

With the engine fitted, i made a start on my manifold, with a few tips from yippee!! :lol:

This is what i started with, i cut up the stainless manifold i had so i could make my own turbo manifold. I find it works out cheaper to modify another manifold then make one from scratch. All in all i paid £100 for the bits. 6 x 90 degree bends, the stainless manifold, and the turbo flange.

IMG00329-20111102-1219.jpg

IMG00330-20111103-1441.jpg

IMG00331-20111103-1441.jpg

IMG00333-20111103-1459.jpg

IMG00334-20111103-1636.jpg

IMG00335-20111103-1636.jpg

IMG00336-20111103-1637.jpg

IMG00337-20111103-1833.jpg

IMG00338-20111103-1834.jpg

IMG00340-20111103-1834.jpg

More updates soon.

well well mate, you have been busy :)
looks really good mate, are you going to put the frp number back on ;) im like this mate!!!! my project and yours now :) whens its done come down and show me mate, im yet to fitted my new front hubs and power flex front end. ive just been injoying drive it.
Keep up the good work pal :) blood and sweat its be all worth it.!!!

warrenpenalver said:
looking good matey!!
Thanks for the positive comments

madhillbilly17 said:
excellent work mate, did you manage to get some gas? im guessing thats not stainless flux wire? coming along nicely :eek:k:

Lol, nah, not flux wire (i didnt know you could get flux stainless), i found a car enthusiast that was sympathetic to my cause, and filled my cylinder with argon/co2 mix for £25, which i thought was awesome!! Its not a full size bottle, but its bigger then a pub size bottle. I kept vapourising the stainless wire, so put in an emergency SOS to yipee for some tips, and he put me straight! I didnt know that you need higher amps for flux wire, so i was trying to weld at too higher voltage.

jay FRP#401 said:
well well mate, you have been busy :)
looks really good mate, are you going to put the frp number back on ;) im like this mate!!!! my project and yours now :) whens its done come down and show me mate, im yet to fitted my new front hubs and power flex front end. ive just been injoying drive it.
Keep up the good work pal :) blood and sweat its be all worth it.!!!

Yes, thats why i took the cosworth badge off the carbon cover, so i can make a new plate to put on it and give the car its identity back! Its just not an FRP without the build number under the bonnet! :cool: Ill definitely be down when its all done, although getting it to the standard that yours is at will be quite hard! I bet your loving driving yours now, its even sweeter when youve put so much work into it! I worked out the other day, ive spent around 1 hour 30 mins driving mine!!! Since i brought it, thats how much ive driven it!! But ive spent months fixing it up!!

I decided to have the turbo rear mounted rather then side mount because of the weight of the turbo. I know its not a lot, but the only place i could fit it is is right at the front of the engine bay behind the rear light, and as i struggled holding it there, i noticed how far in front of the front wheels it was, so i decided it would be better to mount it behind the engine.

Yeah, but im not going to have the screamer open to air, i think im just going to plumb it back into the exhaust system. I was going to put it going into the elbow at the top, but if i put it on the outlet of the turbo into the external radius of the bend, then it will disrupt the flow at the vital part of the bend, because it will disrupt perfect curve of the bend, so ill look at a better way to plumb it in!

PumaNoob said:
Yeah, but im not going to have the screamer open to air, i think im just going to plumb it back into the exhaust system. I was going to put it going into the elbow at the top, but if i put it on the outlet of the turbo into the external radius of the bend, then it will disrupt the flow at the vital part of the bend, because it will disrupt perfect curve of the bend, so ill look at a better way to plumb it in!

I think you should have it open mate. You should get a gain and then you can make your exhaust quiet. Plus if you run a few silencers the back pressure will help low down power and the turbo spoiling.

Looking good buddy.

You never said you were welding up small thin wall pipes but you've done a half decent job from what I can see - nothing that a bit of grinding won't fix anyway...lol - as it's not the easiest thing to do especially with MIG. You should look into getting a TIG welding set (your MIG welder may actually be able to have a TIG torch etc fitted :?: ), the finish you can get is much better with a bit of practice and is best suited to more intricate work.

Keep up the good work :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back