FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another little update. Ive finished the manifold and downpipe, and heat wrapped it. Also put a nice leather jacket on the turbo!! (turbo blanket) Its strictly for the purpose of keeping the engine bay temps down, not for looks!! This is just mocked up on a spare engine i have in the garage!

SAM_0108.jpg

SAM_0113.jpg

The 3" downpipe is very close to the drive shaft carrier!
SAM_0112.jpg

SAM_0110.jpg

Then made a start on intercooler, couldnt get it to fit with the focus RS rad, so modified the rad carrier to take it!

SAM_0114.jpg

SAM_0115.jpg

SAM_0119.jpg

nice work :eek:k: great idea where youve put the support bar on the manifold,i couldnt find anywhere to put one on mine,but my turbo ended up being right up to the block so i dont think i need one now, have you got one on the 1.7 mate?

Thanks mate! Yeah, i made one from the exhaust mounting point on the block on the 1.7! This turbo is also very close to the block, but i thought a little more support wouldnt hurt!!

VVC MINI said:
Looks a proper job that :cool:
You won the lottery those turbo smart waste gates are like well over £200 :lol:

Ha ha you cheeky fu**er, they are just over £300 actually!! Apparently the best flowing 38-40 external gate, out flowing the older turbosmarts and tial! Only the best stuff for this build mate! That wastegate costs nearly as much as my whole other turbo project!! :lol: In reality, its probably no better then a charlie chan £50 jobbie, but it just looks better in the engine bay! :cool:

Thanks for your help yesterday, was really struggling to get that damn belt on!!

id put a bit of heat reflective thin tape on the drive shaft area close to the exhaust as well as regularly greasing it as I imagine it could dry out quite easily!

did you rebuild the dash after you nuked it??? when you do, can you do some phots of the mods as i want to try it out soon.

I only blew the clocks up once!! :grin:

After I rebuilt them the 2nd time, they've been in ever since, but I still need to take them out to "attempt" to wire the temp clock into it! And I want to put some resin over the wires to keep them a bit more secure, so I'll take some pics when I do. I just got carried away with the engine build!

fair enough!! You looked on dave2302's rally car build thread?? he has converted digital temp guage to analogue by using the guage from an analogue puma/fiesta temp guage and retro fitting it to the later dash. should be able to do the same with the mondeo if it uses the same size guage motors.
http://www.skyewheelnuts.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=9120&postcount=282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the mondeo clocks definitely use the same size motors, I was unsure if the mondeo gauges took the same voltage/s :oops: ignal as the puma, so first thing I did was swap all the motors over like for like, because I have no means of testing them. I've not read that project, ill have to have a look, not many people mess around with dash clocks unless they are a straight swap! I think I broke one of mt puma motors and replaced it with the mondeo one, and it still worked, but it seems so long ago I did it, all the new stuff I've learned has pushed that old stuff out!!
:oops: I'm pretty sure the motors are all the same as their counterpart, they may all be the actual same motor in all 4 dials?? Ill have to get my notes out and have a refresh!

Oh, and cheers for the info on shielding the driveshaft and bearing, I had overlooked that, but I think its worth doing, I need to do the plastic steering column shroud too, and all the little power steering pipes near there!

people have melted the plastic power steering stuff on normal FRP's so your turbo one will cook things well!! lol.

You might want to take the engine bay heat shielding pads out and put them through a washing machine as with antilag i used to easily set fire to the bulkhead heat shield :twisted:

So I take it you drive with an extinguisher?? I'm hoping the heat wrap combined with some aluminium shielding might do the trick. I remember melting mine with my 1st miltek, so I know I'd need to take precautions! I won't be messing around with antilag for a good while yet, ill have a hard enough job getting the damn thing to idle! :?

ive wrapped everything i can down the back of mine with aluminium tape combined with the downpipe wrapped its doing ok, the power steering fluid hasnt boiled so i must be doing the trick :)

I'm ok on this engine, the PS pump is at the front, that's how I've managed to get the bigger bend in, you have the puma and pipework to contend with, once I've got past the alternator, there's nothing else there other then a small pulley! Its just the pipes on the steering rack I need to worry about. I did manage to boil the brake fluid in my 1.7, and that's not something I want to do again, the brakes totally failed, luckily they came back after a few pumps on the pedal! :oops:

Where did you get the aluminium tape from?

Does anybody know where I can get 2 of the 'Z' clips that hold the splitter on, or do I have to make some of those too?

ha ha i had the same thing,when i had abit of trouble getting the downpipe nuts on i was having to slide my hands up the side of it, in the end my hands went dry red and rashed and it felt like i had millions of pins being stuck in them :eek:

i am warned, thanks for that, did you put the alloy tape around the heat wrap...sounds like a good idea to me...will give that a go...my turbo puma is getting a new manifold and we will heat wrap it all before it goes back on...

ha ha i thought it was just me that would get the problem as i get a rash from fir trees too,i didnt want to sound like a wuss :oops: :p

Wish I had seen this thread earlier I could have saved you all the hassle of having to make up your own engine mounts. As I have already made a full set for the Fiesta mk4/5 which is exactly the same as the Puma set up, because obviously they are based on the same floor pan.

Feel free to have a look at the link below:

http://www.zsoc.com/showthread.php?t=210946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your doing a great job though mate keep up the good work. :lol:

Latest posts

Back