FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate that's class! Will be coming round to have a good look at those. Never seen anyone make stuff out of real carbon before. Next you will be making your own engine bits from a melted down alloy wheel :lol:

Wild E. Coyote said:
Nice job, mate! You're my idol!
:lol: lol, thanks mate!!

VVC MINI said:
Mate that's class! Will be coming round to have a good look at those. Never seen anyone make stuff out of real carbon before. Next you will be making your own engine bits from a melted down alloy wheel :lol:

Ha ha, never seen anyone make carbon stuff out of plastic bags, duct tape, and a cheap £20 vacuum!!! :lol: Ill have to see what other crazy ideas i can come up with!!

red said:
:cool: very nice
Thanks bud! I might do some other bits, but dont want carbon overload with carbon fibre everywhere you look!!

madhillbilly17 said:
they look really good mate,youve done a cracking job on those

slayllian said:
lush top job!! the carbon looks really good :eek:k:

Thanks guys, im so close to getting it started now its unreal!! Finished making my exhaust today, pics to follow next week.

The list of things to do is shorter now:

Wire up Boost, Air Fuel, and EGT gauges.
Get bumpers sprayed and fit
Re-fit power steering pipe
Fit exhaust
Bleed rear brakes.

Hopefully most if not all will be done next week, other then bumpers, but that wont stop me from starting it up! :cool:

Here are some pics

The original exhaust i made, it has a 4" outward rolled tip, but as soon as i fitted it, i just thought it was too big!

Here is the 4" outward rolled tip, with the roll it measured about 4.5"
PICT0630.jpg

So i chopped the 4" tip off...

PICT0632.jpg

Here are the 2 tips next to each other

PICT0633.jpg

Then i tacked the 3" tip onto the back box. It should be quieter, and not look too over the top now! I also spaced it out 50mm because the fiesta one isn't as long as a puma one should be.

PICT0634.jpg

Opinions on the different tips would be apreciated, im sure most will agree the 4" looks a bit too big.

Thanks mate, I fitted the 3" and when I looked at it, I was used to the big 4", so it looked a little small, & I thought "oh crap, have I made a mistake", but I don't think so. I wanted an oval exhaust like original, but I couldn't find one with an opening big enough to fit my 2.5" system. This tail pipe looks like the piper one.

I got most of the engine bay finished the other day, so here are some pics.

PICT0635.jpg

PICT0636.jpg

PICT0637.jpg

PICT0638.jpg

Hopefully ill get it running next week, just a few tweaks to sort out!!

Yes, it's a right struggle to get to anything it took me hours to fit the breather pipe under the inlet manifold, I had to take the throttle body off and induction pipe, and still scuffed my hands!! I'm not looking forward to a cam chain changes, or any other awkward jobs.

And I might need to use the bigger focus/Mondeo gearbox too. most people doing this conversion won't keep air con and power steering, so there will be a little more space. I have a kenlowe slimline fan to fit if things are too tight.

SpeedFreak said:
looking good matey :grin:

Will be good to see it running

Thanks, I'm REALLY looking forward to the day I can turn the key and have it running

d170sam said:
engine bay looks awesome! i just made sex wee

Lol, you nutter!! :lol: Thanks mate!!

Oh, & thanks guys for the info on the tailgate struts, fiesta ones would have been the last ones I'd have tried, but they arrived during the week, and as Warren said, I only needed to fit 1, and the tailgate holds strong, so I'm very pleased with them! :eek:k:

Another update from todays work.

The carbon engine cover i have fitted is a cosworth one like the pic below.

Carboncamcover.jpg

I took the cosworth badge off for 2 reasons, 1st was because i think it might have looked daft with cosworth on the inlet manifold, and on the engine cover, especially when its not a cosworth engine!! Secondly, and most importantly was that i think the FRP inlet manifold with its build number on it gives the car a lot of its identity, and as id be removing the engine, i wanted a plate on there that gave it its identity back, so i set about designing a new plate for it. This was 1 of the 1st designs i came up with

CamcoverPlate.jpg

I decided to remove the "power by cosworth" bit, so removed it, and emailed the pic to a few engineering companies and engraving companies to ask if they could do it, and quote me a price. Every single one of them emailed back saying they couldnt do it. :-(

But thats not going to be the end of the story, i decided to do it myself!! :p

I made my own engraving machine out of some strips of 25mm MDF, some skateboard bearings, and a dremmel!! :lol:

Here it is, the pic taped to the bottom of the table is my design for the plate, 3 times the size of the actual plate.

PICT0640.jpg

In this pic you can see ive started to engrave the image into the plate.

PICT0641.jpg

I used a bearing for smooth rolling of the engraver

PICT0643.jpg

And bearings on each pivoting axis

PICT0642.jpg

And here are the results

PICT0644.jpg

PICT0645.jpg

PICT0646.jpg

And cut to size. Some of the writing on the bottom looks a bit wonky on the pic, its just that there is no black polishing compound in all the engraved bits, so ill get more pics up when its filled properly with casting resin and a toner. Its far from perfect, but it looks ok!

PICT0648.jpg

PICT0647.jpg

I know the engraver is not a car part, but i was just pleased with it, so thought id post it up as its another one of my wacky inventions!! :lol:

Thanks mate, ill still need to make a neater one when i get some good fine point cnc bits, but it will do for now!

Latest posts

Back