FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying Scotsman said:
Yes that lips is on all. I was told by one of the team that worked at Boreham that it was to produce maximum downforce in the corners and at low speeds.

Oh ok, I considered filling mine in with an angled piece of carbon fibre. My other option was to make a small lip spoiler for around the top of the rear window, so the airflow bypasses most of the spoiler altogether, but for track days I can unclip it and use the spoiler to my advantage.

warrenpenalver said:
I will be selling boots once im happy with them.

Get yourself an electric blanket and put it over the bonnet and wrap around it with a roll of foil. Most blankets get to about 45 degrees on thier own and a touch more if its all wrapped up in foil. Bake it for about 10 hours. Preferably in a garage or under a carport so if it all goes wrong you dont torch your house :twisted: a modern blanket will have a safety trip so you should be fine.

The slight post cure will strengthen the resin slightly and mean it can survive a higher temp.

You would still be wise to put some heat shield foil stuff over the exhaust manifold area of the bonnet underside.

Thanks for the advice, ive been heating it up every day for about 20 mins and letting it cool by itself in the garage, I hope that helps, if not I'll try your method. Keep me posted on the tailgates!!

You must be chuffed with the 1/4 mile times! Looks like it goes really well too :)

What turbo and manifold are you using out of interest?

Carbon boot lids sounds good for me too!! will it be a skin or complete lid? Also, does that mean you have to have perspex rear windscreen?

moondustka said:
You must be chuffed with the 1/4 mile times! Looks like it goes really well too :)

What turbo and manifold are you using out of interest?

Carbon boot lids sounds good for me too!! will it be a skin or complete lid? Also, does that mean you have to have perspex rear windscreen?

Manifold i made myself. I used 38mm headers, all about 500mm long. My turbo is Garrett GT28RS. Good spool time, and can hold power all through the rev range, although if you want 300whp, you might want something bigger, im not sure if the GT28RS will hold power to the red line with that much power. I was going to go for GT2871R but it just didnt have the mid range of the RS, and i wanted something fun rather then having peak figures & a lag monster. Ive turned the boost down to 14psi now from 18-19psi. A lot better on fuel and just as fun, i tuned more power into mid range, im going to do a little more when i get the chance to take it out again.

As above, i wouldnt spend money on a CF tailgate and then weigh it down with glass, might as well go the whole hog and go plexi.

That turbo is good! I've been told to spec something along the lines of a gt28 from the new gtx range.

To be honest I think I'm going to leave the power side of things! My turbo is at is max, it can't flow anymore.

Gearbox, clutch etc becomes an issue for anymore power, and I'm guessing it's the same for you? What clutch have you used?!

Yes, to be honest I'm not sure how the gearbox will hold up with the power I have, that's why I'm going to leave the boost lower except for racing. My clutch is a helix 5 paddle iirc, it was either 5 or 6 paddle, and I have to say its coped with the power really well, no signs of any slippage, with my old one, one bad launch and its game over, it just last all grip. This one cost 3 times the price but is worth every penny. Its quite harsh engagement, but I suppose I have to compramise somewhere.

Flying Scotsman said:
Fancy swapping cars lol

Lol, you would miss your car if you swapped it, there isnt another one like yours!! WHat you need to do is stop running about shooting at people and get your turbo conversion sorted! :lol: Its soooo much more fulfilling when youve done it yourself, even if your paying someone to do the work, its still your thought thats gone into doing it!

But HELL NO, my car isnt going anywhere, its my proudest acheivment to date!!

If only i could get out of this dump! lol This time next year, it certainly will be very unique. And when it's done, we'll need to get our cars on a track together.

woody21 said:
very nice whats yours plans now mate
Not sure what to do next, still a few things to iron out on this project, then im not sure where to go next, im sure ill wake up one day with another daft idea!

But for now im going to just enjoy my hard work and effort!

Still up for that enthusiastic drive over here when we arrange it!

Now that youve got your shit sorted :) awesome stuff dude!!!

Oh hell yes! I've even got myself a set of slicks incase I manage to grab some track time! This car was built for enthusiastic driving! Just name the time & place (as long as I'm not working the other side of the country)

So boost your car then!! Its been proven that your engine will take 5 psi as is, and more with lower compression. Although it sets you on the slippery slope, that greed for power, doing all sorts to it to get your next fix of power. Then that power isn't enough so you have to keep upping the dosage!! The most fun I've had in a car was the turbo 1.7. I know there are a lot of purists, but everybody who's had a turbo puma had never gone back to standard! Bring your puma to me for a few days, ill give it a makeover!!!

after driving mine around for abit i can remember driving along in boost :) thinking there is no way i would go back to std,power is just there and you cant beat abit of chatter or whoosh in my case i have both lol.

Definitely, with about 200bhp, it doesn't compramise handling, its got to be one of the most fun cars out there. Twinned with the fact that you can wipe the smile off the V-tec guys faces, and a lot of other more powerful cars. Immagine a car like scubasteves with 200 plus bhp?? It would take something special to beat it in a straight line or on a track.

Latest posts

Back