FRP front brake conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jellison said:
Well the ST170's are 300 so could be machined - but I bet there are loads of ford ones that go straight on the studs.

Maybe other Focus or Mondeo?

Yes 5mm off not a spacer (with you now).

The ST170 discs are not 28mm thick! They are 24mm, the ones Pumaspeed are selling are machined to the correct specifications. I believe that ST170 discs will fit without modification, but run the risk of having the caliper pistons right out.

jellison said:
I cant believe the FRP had just 285mm discs! It had bigge rms that much bigger disc. The Alcon H caliper (that Ford had tweeked for thr FRP) was designed for upto a 304mm disc. (You'd need a 16" rim most likely for that - I can just squeeze the ST/ Mondeo conversion under the td 15's :grin: ).

dangerous - are you sure on that rear spoiler!

size isn't everything... :cool:

they're 295...28mm thick and motorsport quality...

a whole different ball game to standard car discs found on most fords... :)

madhillbilly17 said:
wow thats some price for some discs, i think i had a close call there, i nearly brought some frp calipers the other day, i brought some 4 pot cosworth calipers instead

Do these fit the Puma hubs? I've been offered a pair and I was thinking of using them on my trackday Puma.

hi, i still havent fitted mine yet as ive been spending money elsewhere on the car, i have been told they fit the hubs but think they mite need drilling out like the mondeo calipers do

Have completed my brake conversion and i went with the mondeo calipers and mondeo brake discs, its now running on 300mm discs however had major problems with bent knuckles on the hubs!!! this was a real problem and took around a week to sort out. The brake conversion also adds abit of weight and has brought the performance of the car down a tad, id advise any1 thats thinking of this conversion think about engine mods if u want to keep performance optimal. Next steps are lowering it and fitting two strut bars. Then the engine mods will be on the go up to summer.
Does any1 have any links to the use of throttle bodies on pumas?
Thank, lex

PS mad hillbilly
The holes which fit the caliper bolts do need drilling out, what i did to give it a more stable hold in the hole is to retap the hub so the bolt screwed into the hub aswell as the caliper. I dont know if any1else would advise this but if your putting huge strain on the hole and its wobbling about, the bolt will sheer if braking hard...

lex_pilmer said:
Have completed my brake conversion and i went with the mondeo calipers and mondeo brake discs, its now running on 300mm discs however had major problems with bent knuckles on the hubs!!! this was a real problem and took around a week to sort out. The brake conversion also adds abit of weight and has brought the performance of the car down a tad, id advise any1 thats thinking of this conversion think about engine mods if u want to keep performance optimal. Next steps are lowering it and fitting two strut bars. Then the engine mods will be on the go up to summer.
Does any1 have any links to the use of throttle bodies on pumas?
Thank, lex
I think I have mentioned , I've done this on my Puma.

As for adding weight and knocking back performmance - you are kidding! We are talking maybe 1.5kg pers side (of course bigger disc and caliper will add a small amount of weight). A few kgs is not goig to mak ethe slighest difference in GO. And the car will be much faster on a long twisty section as it will not run out of brakes!

Fit the Eibach 30mm lowering kit. Very good. BUT you MUST get your tracking, camber and castor set back to std post dropping in the springs in or you will wear the tyres out in no time.

I go a Fancy Under bonnet brace from Puma Speed but never got round to fitting (if interested let me know - doubt I'll ever get to it now (3 race cars to build and maintain)!

Jelly

Yeah ive noticed a real difference with some speed lagging after i fitted the brake conversion in low end, and it just feels like its pulling more weight, i do agree that it is pretty good on long winding roads, harder braking goin into bends etc

I am actually pretty interested in the brace, ive been looking at the omps front upper struts on the net which look pretty good.
Any specs or links to what it looks like?

Thanks dude
Lex

its a lot more weight to spin up....like adding bigger alloys; technically it blunts the car's acceleration...

i highly recommend alloy calipers and disc bells

Hi Lex, pm me and I'll ask my father (left the brace at his) to tell me what make it is. Never been out of box, bar checking when it arrived - it looks pretty trick (come with all bolts and fittings - just can't remember what make), Think it was £130 about 2 years back. I'll never get round to fitting it!

Get the 30mm Eibach kit - really helps.

Jelly

Hey jelly ive been having loadsa probs with my car at the minute and havent been on here recent, thanks for the offer of the strut, but i had a bargin handed to me abit ago, of an e-tech front strut for £30 that i cuddnt turn down!

Thanks again
Lex

No worries - maybe I should fit it!

Never enough time in the day - to be honest I don't think they need them though!

yippeekiay said:
£400 for a pair of discs!!!

They are something like that for the 911

And I need them

Front and rear

I could buy quite a good Puma for less than it's going to cost me

:-(

Worth it though!

haha, that quote was from a good while back ;)

£400 for a Porsche is reasonable, for a Puma - albeit the FRP, it's a bloody ripoff. Paying more because of the car here not because they are worth it or cost that much more to manufacture.

FYI - had a quick search (very quick) and don't know if these are suitable for your Porsche but worth a look if they are :eek:k:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-PORSCHE-911-996-997--FRONT-DRILLED-BRAKE-DISCS_W0QQitemZ180443181207QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=224367460436&rvr_id=224367460436&cguid=4494248912f0a47a2f44eef4ffec3b75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-GENUINE-PORSCHE-997-C2S%2fC4S-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS_W0QQitemZ150578779147QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=224366269019&rvr_id=224366269019&cguid=4494248912f0a47a2f44eef4ffec3b75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also seen them for half the price made by Kinetix? - quality unknown :?

Im going to see what the front strut is like fitted and see how much better the handling is but u maybe right, i think that when i lower the car anyway its going to have a massive effect on handling. It just feels abit boat like after fitting the 17's after the brake conversion, just feels it needs something to bring the car together, and hoping these two mods do that

I have teh Eibach 30mm lower kit (make sure you take to a tyre place and have the std camber, castor, etc put on post the mods -otherwise you will wear the tyres out in no time). I have the 300mm ST170's and Mondeo calipers under std 15' fits by a fag paper - handling is awesome - can't see the brace making any better! But who know's may turn it into an F1 car :)

yippeekiay said:
haha, that quote was from a good while back ;)

£400 for a Porsche is reasonable, for a Puma - albeit the FRP, it's a bloody ripoff. Paying more because of the car here not because they are worth it or cost that much more to manufacture.

expensive yes, but bare in mind they are Fantastic quality and VERY heavy duty... aside from the 28mm motorsport thickness they are just generally very well made and premium quality...

When you've pounded them repeatly on a long track session you don't moan about the cost anymore... :cool: I'd go as far as to say they are one of the nicest single componants of the whole conversion.. :idea: :twisted:

going back to the price... also bare in mind.. the £400 that Pumabuild are charging for them is actually lasts years (or even year before) pricing... when current stock is depleted and a new batch is ordered in (either from PB or Ears motorsport) the price will reflect 'current climate' and a lower quantity pricing increase set by Alcon...as no-one will be ordering/stocking the same sort of quantity that Ford did.... so be thinking more like £240-250 ish per disc.. lol :eek:

I sell mine a little less than that and have 4 sets left i think.. :)

Chris
frp453

not wishing to start a 'thing' el-dude but where did you get the info that alcon discs are 'premium' grade or 'motorsport' quality?

il put penny to a pound that the rotors i get from hispec are just as good and i know hispec buy them from a catologue from a disc manufacturer.....i dont know the carbon content etc, i dont care. i have never been told their 'motorsport' but i expect they are a grade up from the pig iron used on joe bloggs cars, just the same as alcon discs.....

i certainly cant see the alcons ever being worthy of the extra cost....

ie one hispec rotor (disc) costs me £70....i have had 3 so far so divide the alloy bell cost (£100) by 3 (£33) then my discs so far have cost on average £100 each....and im expecting the bells to last a hell of a lot longer (bringing the price down even further). i also have the choice of grooved rotors and the benefit of loosing 1kg per disc of unsprung weight.

i have thrashed the living wotsits out of them, used racing pads etc etc....i havent even noticed if they havent lasted as long as the god-like-status-alcons....theres nothing in it bar the directional veins.....and that in my eyes is not worth over 2x the price!

im trying to be nice but i have to say 'what planet are you on advising people to spend £250 PER DISC'

i do admire you and the rpoc etc going for originality but its a *&^&* brake disc....a bit of metal designed to wear out and be replaced! im going to be in the market for a v8 vantage in the not too distant future and i wouldnt spend that much on massive discs for an aston martin!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back