frp front brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigw

someone near to me is selling frp front calipers and carriers and im just wondering if they fit the standard puma or do you need the hubs and knuckles, i think he has those aswell :grin:
ive already done the mondeo conversion on mine but i imagine the 4 pots will be a even better improvment :twisted:

be careful, if they havent been looked after they will be scrap

how much are they out of interest? they usually go for silly money with brand new options of better brakes from other manufacturers usually coming in a lot cheaper

If they are the ones from ebay, the guy who is selling the suspension and hubs, they look in such a poor state, you would need them completely refurbed before using!
And also, they will fit straight on, I have FRP Alcons on my standard hubs.

yeah its the ones on ebay and i was thinking of a full referb on them, id like them silver :)

If they are corroded you won't be able to refurb them. I wouldn't risk it unless they are vvvv cheap

All you need is a drill and some new bolts and nuts, thay drop stright on the standard hub but, i dont know if the standard 15" wheel will fit?. Usually the corrosion starts on the inside by the pistons, and the pad rails, at which point they are just about scrap. one way or another even if they are good they will eventually cost you your left kidney in parts, seals £80, pistons £20 to £60, wheels of every 3 month for a clean an so on

agree to above; check out my how to guides and if your still tempted by my concise guide; 6 pages of how to do it properly at home and all the best / cheapest suppliers. its saved some people £500!!! thats how expensive they can be!!

ScubaSteve said:
be careful, if they havent been looked after they will be scrap

This.

Buying used Alcons is an inexact science. If they haven't been maintained yearly, they'll only be fit for the bin.

i am stuck between 300mm conversion and alcon 4 pot but can i not get 4pots for the mondeo i know its pointless but its for the looks would prefer 300mm with 4pot

do they have to be alcon? you can get a set of BRAND NEW hi spec, or even wilwoods for less

The problem with the FRP calipers, even if you get a mint set, is the price of discs. Even with hi-spec bells and rotors, the initial outlay is near £400. And that's after you've forked out to get the calipers in a usable state. I'd go for a lower maintenance option, that you can buy off the shelf. Either some different 4/6 pots, or a standard ford set like ST170 or mk3 Mondeo, they are very good with the right disc and pad set up, & virtually maintenance free. The 4/6 pots do look awesome though, if I didn't already have alcons, I'd probably go for willwood, hi spec, or FRS brembos with adaptor brackets.

frs brembo discs etc are £250 last time i checked....each!

I meant FRS brembo calipers not discs. My discs FRS are EBC ultimax, coupled with the yellow stuff pads, they feel awesome, and the discs cost me £100. There's a lot more range from the FRS discs, starting from around £50!!

Back