FRP or Fiesta ST?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

I'm thinking about buying one of these this time next year.

However I'm torn between this and a Fiesta ST.

I'm not bothered by straight line speed, that can be worked on. I'm bothered by how high maintennance the FRP's are. I can do all the work myself, but I don't enjoy spending all my time underneath my cars.

I know the ST will be a lot more reliable than the FRP, and easier and cheaper to fix, but it just doesn't have that wow factor as there are so many of them on the road.

Could anyone recommend one over the other?

Im not Bias but I prefer the FRP over a Fiesta St any day :lol:

If you're worried about maintenance costs - buy the ST.

The FRP is getting on a bit now, is much rarer, and FRP specific parts are pretty scarce, and bloody expensive.

I'll be honest though, I wouldn't buy either :roll:

from the designers point of view its a 2 door coupe 'special' versus a hot hatch and lets not forget why the hatchback was invented...for mum to take the kids shopping! (im serious)

from the home mechanics point of view....the frp is a do it at home job if your willing to put some time in and read some guides, iv managed fine & iv had to do most of the research and write a lot of the guides!!!

from the frp owners point of view....there arent that many parts around that cost a HUGE amount of money as most parts by now have been replicated a lot cheaper than buying 909 parts from ford motorsport. even with the cheaper parts tho it will cost you a lot more to run than an st

driving...iv never had an st loose me, not even on an open motorway, no chance on a country lane.

BUT....depends who you are! if you want to wear the frp crown for one summer then please dont! cos come autumn someone else will be getting your bills....which is just selfish in my opinion. if you want to invest some time in a future classic which is pretty much at rock bottom with prices rising over the next 5 years and love cars / only ever sell a car in better nick than you bought it then please join the club, you will love the drive.

If you're worried about overall costs etc then go for the ST.

If you don't mind doing things / paying people to keep your car up to scratch then the FRP.

You do have to remember that the FRP is far older than most Fiesta STs hence the chance of finding a good condition one is far higher than that for an FRP.

The FRP is a car you will look back on 20 - 30 years from now and say with a smile - "I had one of them".

The ST will save you money now, but 20 - 30 years on you'll struggle to even remember you owned one.

I have not driven an FRP but I have driven the ST (I came close to changing my kat for one)

the road holding of the ST was excellent - it was a lot of fun to drive - and I guess because the technology of the ST was newer than the kat I really liked the handling of the ST

(I am tempted to say I preferred the handling of the ST to the kat, but it was probably the extra power of the ST that made the difference; like you I am not impressed by straight line speed)

looks like you are getting such a range of responses that you will have to drive both and make a decision for yourself!

I'd never buy an FRP for the repair and maintenance costs.

I can't say never for a Fiesta ST, but if I did buy one, I'd have to be doing less miles than I am at the moment every day, as the MPG isn't as good as you'd expect for a 2.0l engine on a small car. From what I've read, most owners are pleased when their MPG gets into the 30s...

as has been said, i wouldnt actually buy either. frp is not sufficiently better than a regular puma to warrant the money and the st is underpowered. theres lost more on the market that are better than the st. i can understand the frp for its rarity value etc, and they do handle very well, but just too expensive for what they are. as a direct comparison, my mate has had both quite recently and he does prefer the frp. says theres nothing in it for performance but the frp seems to handle better.

If you live in an area like i do (new forest) then its a fantastic daily drive. Lots of corners lots and back roads! I often just go out for a drive for the hell of it. 0-62 below 8 seconds for a 1.7i isnt bad!

crispy1980 said:
as has been said, i wouldnt actually buy either. frp is not sufficiently better than a regular puma to warrant the money and the st is underpowered. theres lost more on the market that are better than the st. i can understand the frp for its rarity value etc, and they do handle very well, but just too expensive for what they are. as a direct comparison, my mate has had both quite recently and he does prefer the frp. says theres nothing in it for performance but the frp seems to handle better.

Only when the FRP is driven to it's maximum capability round a good track, does it become clear what an AMAZING car it really is...and to do that requires serious commitment and driving skill...

Sitting next to Rob round Cadwell was just nothing less than awesome!.. :cool: :cool:

As an everyday car the ST is probably better, but for fun, looks etc then the FRP. So...buy the FRP, you only live once!

chris3boro said:
As an everyday car the ST is probably better, but for fun, looks etc then the FRP. So...buy the FRP, you only live once!

True. I'm looking at them both and the ST just has no soul. The FRP though, maybe too much soul :)

Have you driven both yet?

Personally id take both out for a test drive, if possible and see how you find both cars for themselves :eek:k:

the FRP can be high maintenance when it comes to suspension, brakes etc but alot of parts are the same as a standard Puma and parts for that can be expensive aswell.. depends where you get the bits from :lol:

Best thing to do if you are after an FRP is spend the money and get a mint one. Don't buy a crap one for around £4-5K as you'll spend the same again getting it up to scratch. Trust me, I know this ;)

Got mine for 5k and its very much sweet underneath the bonnet ;)

zara#014 said:
Have you driven both yet?

Personally id take both out for a test drive, if possible and see how you find both cars for themselves :eek:k:

the FRP can be high maintenance when it comes to suspension, brakes etc but alot of parts are the same as a standard Puma and parts for that can be expensive aswell.. depends where you get the bits from :lol:

Not yet, I will closer to the time. It seems that you buy an ST with your head but an FRP with your heart, right?

Latest posts

Back