HELP! Air Con Compressor Clutch Keeps blowing fuse. Any Ideas?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansync

Hi all,

The AC compressor clutch keeps blowing the fuse that's in the engine that is also the fuse for the reverse lights. Does anyone have any ideas or info on what this could be?

Is it worth trying a higher fuse to see if it still blows when I turn the AC on or is that bad?

I would be so grateful for any help.

Cheers!

ok thanks for the advice. Any idea how much a new compressor will cost?

Thanks for the help btw

The used one can be had for 20 GBP from IanG. New is from Ford unobtainable anymore. You can get only factory refurbished item and since it is almost always the big O ring seal where the two halves of housing meet it is much cheaper to reseal your existing one or the 'new' second hand one than paying megabucks for factory refurbished one...

This is what you need and it is as good as new.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-A-C-COMPRESSOR-FS10-MID-93-TO-CURRENT-O-RING-KIT-W-METAL-GASKETS-/401032826481?hash=item5d5f6b4e71:g:3KYAAOSwt6ZWVwU9

Of course, don't forget it uses special oil and you will need regassing the system...

Hey thanks so much for all the info! Thats a great help thanks. When you say it uses special oil what do you mean?

The oil in A/C system is specific and made just for that purpose. It is neither engine, nor gearbox oil it is A/C oil. The needed quantity is rather low as the rest will be delivered with gas.
The thing is that oil is used for sealing compressor as well as for lubricating it (the compressor pistons use no rings like engine does)

Hy Guys
The spec for the oil is on the yellow sticker on the slam panel and is put in with the gas.
Barry

Sounds a bit complicated for me, I might need some help from guys like you who know what they are doing :wink:

One of my friends is a refrigeration engineer and he saw the sticker on my slam panel and said they re-gas fridges with the same gas. No need to worry the oil is pre-mixed in with the gas. I think Sinisa (wIld E Coyote) mentioned the oil for if you were repairing your compressor with the new O ring kit you would need it for the rebuild. If you buy a second hand one off Ian G perhaps you would just need to couple it up and then have it re-gassed. Before you take off the existing compressor you should have the system de-gassed for environmental reasons by a professional.
Barry

Hi Barry,

If someone is to rebuild the existing compressor (I did) when you take it apart, it stands for reason to clean it completely. When you do that, you have to add some oil in before regassing and do few turns of compressor just to make sure everything is nicely lubricated or it will fail on you when you switch it on. When you just replace it with a second hand unit, it already will have some oil in it from previous application and regassing is enough. But, from my experience, usually they (compressors) develop a leak after regassing at the big o ring where the two halves of the housing meet. And since the refurb kit is really peanuts money, and taking it appart is rather straight forward affair, I'd recommend changing the seals for a piece of mind; after all they are now 15+ years old...

dansync said:
[post]350080[/post] The AC compressor clutch keeps blowing the fuse that's in the engine that is also the fuse for the reverse lights.
Previous owner been fiddling with your wiring? Aftermarket stuff been added to your car? Any of these visible under the bonnet or in the boot?

The AC compressor clutch has its own dedicated fuse (Fuse 32, 20A yellow) and nothing else on the same fuse. I'd hold off on the AC route a while, until you've figured out what's going on with your wiring.

Back