Hewland PCT Gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davedrave

Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to all of this so bare with me because I have an awesome project lined up when the funds become available! Currently own a Millennium Edition puma and saving for a 350bhp turbo conversion :grin:!

Now, my worry is that the standard IB5 gearbox (with Quaife ATB) will not only be not strong enough to handle the torque of the engine, but also too darn slow! I don't really wanting to be topping out at say 130/135 or whatever it will do incredibly quickly so have been wondering to myself lately - what can I do?

Well, I have been thinking about at some point maybe changing to an MTX75 gearbox, but I will leave that to another discussion.

What I have been considering lately is a Hewland PCT 6 speed 'box. Has anyone had an experience with this gearbox? Can anyone tell me if it is a dog box/straight cut gears - or whatever the noisy one is lol - or if it is a normal helical gearbox as this will be a normal road car with all the creature comforts, restored to show car stander to hopefully one day be featured in Fast Ford mag! Basically, I don't want it to become too noisy that is not enjoyable. Does anyone know if the sequential gearboxes are any good/no good for normal round town driving either?

Apologies for such a long message and I look forward to any replies!

They have about a £6k price tag and you will be rebuilding it every few thousand miles, for road use MTX75 is a better and much cheaper option, I think Pumanoob (errol) is using one in his car running that sort of power with a 2.3 turbo engine and he hasnt broken that yet.

Look forward to seeing progress

Simon

Wow, that is a very large price tag indeed! Almost as much as the price of the engine build alone, that will come in a few years maybe - we shall see.

Do you know if it is very difficult to put the MTX75 gearbox on the 1.7 engine? I want the strength and reliability to handle the power and torque. I will try and contact Pumanoob to see how much it cost him etc.

Also, does anyone know if there is anything available for the IB5 'box to maybe try and eek out some more top end speed? Don't really want to be topping out the Puma in no time at around 130mph.

Thanks for the reply.

Just a quick little update for those of you who are interested or thinking of putting in a sequential gearbox into your puma - don't!

I emailed Hewland directly to discuss options on their sequential gearboxes, they now offer the EGT 6 speed 'box, installation would "require a fair amount of re-engineering of the mountings and drive shafts as well as sorting the bell housing and clutch".

Current price - £12600

Mind blowing how expensive the gearbox is, but maybe in like 6 years time? Maybe...

Have you tired Sadev ? I believe prices are around £9k for the complete setup.

Quaife do a sequential IB5 - http://shop.quaife.co.uk/ford-ib5-5-speed-sequential-gearkit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is a fair bit chepaer - not sure if its suitable for 350 BHP, I somewhat doubt it.

Sadev? Can't say as though I have ever heard of them, I will look into it more though.

Didn't know about Quaife doing a 'box but that is pretty sweet! The only thing I see wrong is that I need longer gear ratios to maximise top speed. Saves around £8k though so thanks mate.

I'm looking more into an MTX75 conversion now, might be a little bit cheaper! I have another thread open about it, if anyone knows anything then help me out please :grin:

Standard Quaiffe gearset in and IB5 box £1500

http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?cPath=43_52_77&products_id=925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have looked at that in the past but unfortunately the gear ratios in that are shorter and i think that may hinder the top end speed! Not good. The price is affordable though which is good

Back