MTX75 Gearbox conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davedrave

Hi Guys,

I recently posted a thread about getting a custom Hewland sequential gearbox for the 1.7 Puma - for this of you who haven't read it, current price sits at £12600, so if you have that sort of money to splash, good on ya!

My new question, does anyone have any experience with fitting the MTX75 gearbox to the 1.7 Puma? If so, then how much work is required, how much re-engineering is needed, cost etc?

Thanks

I believe you need to chop into the front chassis leg to get enough clearance. Need to speak to someone who has done the Focus RS / MTX conversion.

Thanks Ziggy,

Do you know if there is a major difference between a normal MTX75 'box and the Focus RS 'box?

Also, does anyone know if there is much difference in gear ratios as would really want some more top end speed.

Thanks

I belive mac has a fiesta st150 Box and if i recal, that is a mtx75, have a look at his tread :) and ask him :) the flying scotsman

The ST150 has an IB5 gearbox the same as a Puma, the Focus RS Mk1 uses an MTX75 with uprated gears and a limited slip diff

Thanks guys,

Still getting round to understanding how to quote the both of you at once but thanks for the info!

Does the RS 'box have a different name other than MTX75? How much are they going for roughly?

Thanks

Unfortunately most ford FWD gearboxes are either IB5 (or an older variant like a BC) or an MTX75, but there are different variants and bell housing patterns to each. I had to chop into my chassis leg to accommodate the bigger box.

How much hp/lbft could a 'standard' MTX75 handle and also are the MTXs from a MK1 Focus RS better in the sense that they could handle more power?
How much are these gearboxes usually and would you need a different diff to suit a 1.7?

Kind Regards,

Puma555.

Back