Honda (K20) anyone?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinamotor

Question?

Im seriously thinking about going for a K20 engine in the Puma, I know it will fit but wondered if there was anywhere in the South East that has a track record of fitting them. There were certain things I liked about my CTR and the engine and gearbox were the highlights, combine that with the better steering feel and chassis dynamic in the Puma and I reckon Im on to a winner.
Has anyone on here actually done this, I remember speaking to BOK (Colin RIP) in length about it as we both dabbled with Type R's some years back.
Im on a mission with this one :grin:

Im not interested in supercharging or turbo charging I just want a nice rev happy vtec pulling my lightened cat along the road. A rear drive conversion would be the ultimate but the basic engine transplant will do nicely.

Any information on this would be welcomed.

Thanks

I can't help with contacts for installing the conversion but that does sound awesome, like a 1.7 with more ooomph! does the K20 weigh anymore than the 1.7? because that could upset the handling?

I used to own an EP3 too (#11647 in Milano Red) loved it to bits till the fateful day I overstepped the mark!I'd say theres not much difference in weight between the K20 and Zetec-SE units it'd be worth comparing engine mounts as the Puma engine seems to be canted a fair bit towards the bulkhead.You'd have a bit of a nightmare with the steering system though as the Type R uses Electric power steering have no idea how you'd get around that!Would be awesome!

oilburner said:
I used to own an EP3 too (#11647 in Milano Red) loved it to bits till the fateful day I overstepped the mark!I'd say theres not much difference in weight between the K20 and Zetec-SE units it'd be worth comparing engine mounts as the Puma engine seems to be canted a fair bit towards the bulkhead.You'd have a bit of a nightmare with the steering system though as the Type R uses Electric power steering have no idea how you'd get around that!Would be awesome!

I certainly wouldnt want to employ the same steering set up as the EP3 (Mine was 779 also Milano :wink: ) as I felt it was one of the only things that let the car down. However Im sure the DC5 teg did away with this system and employed a more feelsome set up. Maybe I should pop back over to the CTR owners site for more info on this.

The K20 engine swap is probably one that is the easiest to be done (if we assume that making of bespoke motor mounts and driveshafts is not a problem for someone thinking about engine swap) if you get K20A2 from EP3 Type R civic. That one (2001.-2005.) is still an analogue car. The throttle is cable operated, and everything is wired with proper analogue signal. No CANBUS, or anything.
The power steering pump might be a problem, but the way around it is to use a electrohydraulic PS pump from toyota MR2 (the latest model) which is all in one unit. It just needs a speedo signal which from a civic Type R gearbox is the one needed, i.e. 4000 ppm square voltage signal of 5V. The same one is used across all Asian manufacturers so it will be correct for the PS pump to use it.
If I were the one doing it, I would just use the stock Honda PCM for the ease of use and OEM map for durability

Back