Hot Hatches

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3boro

Hi all. Just been looking at Type R's (EP3 version) This wouldn't be for a few years as I'm only 19 now, but just getting more information on them etc. Really like the look of them inside and out, and by all accounts the engine is something else!

So what do people think to them?

Cheers guys.

Expensive to maintain.

That is what would put me off.

Plus every boy racer aspires to buy a CTR

They are pretty amazing cars though. My cousin has a black 01 CTR which i'm sure had to be serviced like every 3,000 miles or something daft although I could be wrong on that!

He sold it in the end as it cost to much to run. His dad now owns it.
He now drives a 5 door diesel Megane.

Yeh I'd expect they;re costly to run, especially if you regularly explore VTEC region. You ever been in one Red?

Wait till colin comes along, he is our resident Vtec expert. Theyre quick as hell but ugly as sin. The older one looked like a cheese wedge shape, and the new one is dating quickly i think. It looks nice still, but in a few years it will look like a Bond Bug to us now.

They're quick in the right hands, slow in the wrong ones. You have to concentrate to drive one fast.
Handling is good to a point but the back end can get very lairy mid corner- be careful. Lift off and say goodbye.
Engines are excellent but use oil (expensive).
Steering (electric power assist) is the weak point- not enough feel.
Budget for front tyres big time, it eats them.
Very practical and roomy.
No LSD as standard.
I think Honda servicing is very reasonably priced.

Go for a late 'Premier' edition and get privacy glass and proper Recaro front seats.

They are good value but with a bit of a wide boy image.

I want one...to break for parts (engine and box), not keen on the rest of it unfortunately :p At least the EP3 is rawer than the current CTR which is all a bit estate agent IMO- the handling and ride is better but it's heavier :-(

Real entusiasts forget about the EP3 and get an Integra (DC2) which are holding their value (I've been looking :idea: )

awesome engine....
but its a hatchback (original design brief for the hatchback was a '2nd car for a the other half to go shopping) so its a shopping trolley, just a fast one....

too tall; aesthetically most cars these days look like jelly moulds, the shoulder lines are nearly above the drivers head & the wheels look like they belong on a kids go kart made from a massive cardboard box with tiny pram wheels.

too much safety gear..... coupled with being too tall the centre of gravity is a lot higher than it used to be; bad handling

modern suspension & engine is good tho (sorts the handling)

they sound like a hairdryer too!

import an integra or keep the puma i say

(or win the lottery & buy the aston v8 or a jag xkrr)

Yeah I've heard the handling is very good, but is lacking feedback. As for the sound, I think they sound great once its on VTEC, and listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-nyMuM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4C&index=0

Like I said, I'm just thinking about what I could fancy in 2 years or so, so it's hard to say. But I think I'll fancy a hot hatch or something similar (probably only for a year or so with petrol prices etc)

BOK said:
Real entusiasts forget about the EP3 and get an Integra (DC2) which are holding their value (I've been looking :idea: )

DC2 is on my list for a possible puma replacement. But as you know, a good one is hard to find.

Dal said:
DC2 is on my list for a possible puma replacement. But as you know, a good one is hard to find.

Better not end up fighting over the same one then :p

Mine wants to be a late (1998 on) JDM one in white (not the ugly UK/US one with the fake Alfa Spider front lights), with red Recaros and only a few mods. My dream one will be sitting on white Enkei NT03 wheels :wub:

Sometimes I feel like slapping people that put Lexus lights, lambo doors and TVs in their Integras :x Buy a Ford Cougar instead :p

I was looking at Integras as a possible FRP alternative. Unfortunatley all the examples in the 6-7k price range I saw were distinctly ropey, with very high mileages. Unsurprisingly, the FRP won out.

Not going to have a fight then as I don't like the JDM ones. As original UK one as possible (certainly original wheels. Why do people change them? :teary: ) from a fussy owner. Wouldn't mind paying top dollar for a truly straight one. In white of course, not red or black.

:)

What would people recommend then for reasonable to run hot hatches? Some I can think of.....

Fiesta ST
Clio 172/182
Pug 206 GTI
Ibiza Cupra
C2 VTS

I'd be looking to change in around 2 years, when I'll be 21 :)

I'm not a particular fan of the smallest box cars you can buy.

Pumas are a great shape..

.. next to that i'd be considering nothing affordable to run i.e.

Evo 9 or Exige

Current dream car would be a Sagaris :D

But as none of those will be in my price range anytime soon I will be keeping the Puma!

chris3boro said:
What would people recommend then for reasonable to run hot hatches? Some I can think of.....

C2 VTS

Do you like Airfix kits? :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_9rspC2AXc[/youtube]

lol Colin. You ever beein in one or this the French stereotype you're representing? I'm not sure they look sporty enough really. They seem v affordable though for a fairly quick car like insurance group 8!
What would you suggest then mate?

chris3boro said:
lol Colin. You ever beein in one or this the French stereotype you're representing? I'm not sure they look sporty enough really. They seem v affordable though for a fairly quick car like insurance group 8!
What would you suggest then mate?

I went out for a good run in a brand new limited edition C2 GT- red paint with white wheels, a bit like this:
c2_vts_ss_01.jpg

Having been really impressed by the fun factor of a modded Saxo VTS I was looking forward to the drive...but it was a serious pile of poo. It was a challenge to drive the thing straight let alone corner it. I cannot think of a single reason to buy a car like that. Bits from under the bonnet came off in my hand...
I suggest you try one for yourself, you might like it.

The Fiesta ST is good but felt like driving a car made of lego.

The Pug 206 is so horrible I have no idea how it sells so well (must be the styling, if you like it).

Tried to test drive a Clio Cup and 172 but the dealer told me I had to buy one to drive it, so basically Renault can go an suck c*ck forever as far as I'm concerned.

My first choice- Fiat Panda 100HP :cool: No one does small cars like the Italians. And I'd certainly look into the Suzuki Swift Sport that's getting the attention these days.

Ultimately, test drive all the cars you are interested in and draw you own conclusions. Don't just potter or thrash it, do both otherwise you might regret your choice. Read this site carefully and arm yourself with knowledge: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have fun :cool:

Yeh I thought about the Swift Sport but I still think in 2 years they'll be a bit expensive. Also thought about a early cooper s (just brainstorming here)

Depends what you can afford insurance wise as well remember. How you had a speculative quote on a type R for ?

Dal said:
Depends what you can afford insurance wise as well remember. How you had a speculative quote on a type R for ?

I've been getting quotes for a few, but I've had to put in my details as if I am 21 now to get a rough idea of prices. Churchill have come out with some decent quotes, they seem to be v good for hot hatches. The prices ranged from around £400-£700 (the type R being at the top end as you'd expect) I have heard a lot of good things about the fiesta ST though. Colin, could you expand on your comments about it please?

Latest posts

Back