How much do you pay? Timing Belt.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintGrimm

My Puma is going in for its MOT soon (early as they are on offer, £25) and if it passes I figured I should get the timing belt done while it is there (not in the service history and I do a lot of mileage).

So I was wondering how much it costs people generally? I am going to get the water pump done at the same time but let's not factor that in right now haha.

I am just wondering what people have paid recently for a similar job? I did go through the search but there are many timing belt hits.

Ford themselves have a fixed price deal for £249
http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/Fixed-Pricing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its pathetic but maybe its like a power company, who could give you a better deal but dont unless you specifically ask.
The snctu

I politely told them to shove it and they should learn if they wish to rip people off they should so to the people that show no clue to what they're on about and proceeded to do a DIY job

I checked that offer the other week with my local dealer (Dinnages, Haywards Heath). They said it was only for the timing belt, not the timing belt kit.

YOG said:
I checked that offer the other week with my local dealer (Dinnages, Haywards Heath). They said it was only for the timing belt, not the timing belt kit.
That's ridiculous!

Methinks this Ford scheme was concieved by Ian Duncan Smith the lying wriggling misleading F*** rag :thumbs:

im gettting a gates timing belt kit and water pump for 80 quid of ebay and garage is charging me 100 to fit it im happy haha was going to do it myself but just havnt got the time

I paid £55 for my gates kit, £38 for the water pump. Did it myself, took about 4 hours (6 hours, but there was a lot of sitting around, smoking fags, drinking coffee)

ewizzy said:
I paid £55 for my gates kit, £38 for the water pump. Did it myself, took about 4 hours (6 hours, but there was a lot of sitting around, smoking fags, drinking coffee)

Did you have a guide on how to do it or do you have that knowledge anyway?
I would take a shot at doing it myself (used to change it on my old cars but they were all SOHC)

No guide I'm afraid. Just bought the locking tools and got on with it.
In my opinion, it's not really a DIY job unless you know what you're doing, and/or have had a fair amount experience on engines etc, not saying that you don't, but just in case ;)

I had my mechanic do ours recently for £230 and that was including extra time due to the bottom pulley being stuck fast.
I was originally quoted £190.

If you're anywhere near Milton Keynes shoot me a PM and I'll pass his details on, he's one of those old school guys who's run his own garage for about thirty years and all his work is word of mouth, I use him for jobs I can't do myself and have done for over ten years.

Steve

Back