HOW TO: Change the Rocker Cover Gasket

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
be careful using silicone to pack out the gasget, it's not really designed with that in mind...rather than squirting it round the engine block which gets very messy...after you've stuck it to the rocker cover, just wipe a small amount with your finger round the other side of the seal, just enough to tack it down... :cool:

make sure it's a good quality sealant too... you can tell just by picking up the cartridge whether it's a good one or not..the cheaper ones are full of fillers and are very light... this one by Ambersil is very good quality..iv'e used about a dozen or so tubes of this stuff now it's cracking quality!... I also use it to fill in the void area of bushes too like the lower and upper gearbox mounts, stiffens then up no end... :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360072548921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rgds

Chris

ps..also, if the gasget is not damaged or brittle you can 9times out of 10 get away with re-sealing it back down without buying a new one.. people will have to judge that one themselves tho.. :grin:

I reused my gasket as it was still as new. I got some high temp silicon but it was red and I did put FAAAAAR too much on which DID make a mess....lol.

Got it from here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siroflex-High-Temperature-Gasket-Silicone-Sealant-310ml-/280668608180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41592716b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just ordered the rocker gasket and sealent of ebay. I went for a replacement item instead of the ford one becae it was £12.99 instead of £26, and from reading this it should still fit fine and save some money.

Looks like a great guide, ill update when ive done it if i dont end up scrapping my car because i end up with an engine i cant put back together

Thanks for the support guys. Im kinda looking forward to doing it. I put an induction kit on my celica, and with help from a friend learnt to service the puma at the weekend. After doing this im going to feel much more confident about the engine and how it works. I wish i became a mechanic its so interesting but instead im a poor musician lol

would you say that a novice could do this? I can change headlight/brake bulbs but thats about the sum of my experience!

i'm thinking about doing it but one of the hex bolts on the plastic engine cover is rounded off so i would need to dremmel it as suggested or hit a T27 into it. Also I don't have a torque wrench but i maybe able to borrow one

I dont actually know that it is the gasket that is causing my leak but its my best guess from reading most of the info on the forum. when you stand at the front of the car the leak is almost right at the front of the engine bay, on the left hand side sort of halfway between the middle of the bonnet and the wheel. I guess oil could be leaking from anywhere and just running out down the quickest route

Im just fed up of oil stains on the road!

Theres always the possibility your oil filters not on tight enough or that someone spilt some when they topped up the oil or that its over filled and spewing out the dipstick, but more likely than not its probably the rocker gasket.

On mine it was leaking down the back right hand side, it was leaking on the cam belt end of the engine which can apparently cause the cam belt to slip (there was also evidence of someone using sealer at the cam belt end as well to stop the leak) also the foam insert in front of the injectors was soaked with oil.

Also you can have oil around your spark plugs which I also had.

Anywhere is possible really

i think the cause of most peoples leaking rocker cover gaskets isnt failing gaskets, but more blocked or congested breather pipe/box causing pressure build up

So it's worth checking the pipe to see if its blocked first?
Does the breather pipe just pull off?

Sorry I know I sound like a complete numpty

I am attempting this procedure next weekend: the sealant on the engine (rather than removable part) should this be exactly where the contact is made? And how long once replaced should I let is cure for? Would it be best to change the oil in case some the sealant mixes with the oil, or is it totally inert?

The breather pipe: where does it lead to? I lie to fully remove it and clean it; what is best to clean it?

Thanks!

would it be ok if I used lots and lots of gasket sealant with the rubber gasket. I've changed mine too many times now, and I dont want to do it again after this...mine is leaking from the cambelt side, so i'm going to ooze sealant around the entire head, would it damage anything if some dripped into the cam/oil part???

IF IT LEAKS AFTER THIS, I'M GONING TO DRIVE IT OFF A CLIFF, NOT DECIDED WHETHER I'LL BE IN IT YET :lol:

I wouldn't have thought you'd use enough to leak into the chambers :?

Use plenty (sensibly) though, it will dry.

I used LOTS and LOTS of sealant and now it......DOESN'T LEAK anymore, not even a drop. so I guess that's the way to go? LOTS and LOTS of gasket sealant WITH the gasket. :thumbs:

Excellent guide, thank you, which has given me the confidence to have a crack at my gasket tomorrow. Got all the bits and bobs, and thought I'd have a quick look under the bonnet. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to remove the plastic cover, and I'm glad I did, as the three longer bolts were stuck fast. Three hours later and the whole thing came off, and I found the plugs swimming in oil. I didn't realise my leak was that bad, so I cleaned up the excess in preparation for tomorrow.
However, there is one aspect that I am unsure about: the seals for the camshaft position sensor and the VCT solenoid sensor. I presume these will come off the sensors and remain with the rocker cover when the rocker cover comes off. If so, do I need to apply any gasket sealant on them? More to the point, would it do any harm?
The reason I ask is partly because the camshaft sensor seal looks like it wasn't seated properly by the previous owner/mechanic, and half of it is twisted and sticking out. Also, partly because I don't want to find myself at a loss halfway through the job.
Many thanks in advance for any swifty replies.

Don't forget to coat the inside of the leads with silicone grease to a depth of 5-10mm, where they clip onto the spark plugs. (Technical Service Bulletin 195/1997).

Yes, should be mm (changed it now).
No idea why, but even the Ford dealer that did my first plug change did it!

Latest posts

Back