HOW TO: Change the Rocker Cover Gasket

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YOG said:
Yes, should be ml (changed it now).
No idea why, but even the Ford dealer that did my first plug change did it!

Should be mm you mean :lol:

I'd imagine adding silicone grease to the inside gives some degree of waterproofing / sealing?

There was I worrying about the sensor seals (mystery solved now), and when I get the rocker cover off I find it has a big chip out of the corner. At least I know where it was leaking! Whoever replaced it the last time clearly new about it (or, more probably, dropped it) but put it all back together anyway. Bastard. :evil: Learning every day.

Yep, but not hard to miss at an inch long. My faith in human nature is slowly erroding. As is my car. :|

Hey just a quick question I find some oil seating where the spark plugs are could it be the same thing or something more sinister

Oil around the plugs will either be due to the gasket leaking or someone being sloppy when putting oil in. easy job to change the gasket, just dont tighten the bolts down too hard whe putting the rocker/cam cover back on or you distort the new gasket and get the same problem.

great guide thankyou my puma just got a oilleak and i followed it back to the rocker cover on the right side of the engine towards the back you can see oil pools in the gaps not leaking to much at the moment, but i will be at ford tommorrow to get a new gasket, I have allready got some v-tech vital copper rtv silicone gasket maker high temerature resistant up to 700 f will this gasket maker work with the new gasket and once changed how long do i need for it to cure before i can drive my puma?
thankyou
jason
:thumbs: 8)

I guess that depends on how long your product takes to cure.. :lol:

Use it very thinly, the gasket is designed to only work on it's own really... personally, I would never apply any directly onto the head....it gets very messy if you do, and it can end up getting chewed up in the cams!

:grin:

el dude said:
I guess that depends on how long your product takes to cure.. :lol:

Use it very thinly, the gasket is designed to only work on it's own really... personally, I would never apply any directly onto the head....it gets very messy if you do, and it can end up getting chewed up in the cams!

:grin:
thanks for the advice went to ford today and ordered a new gasket will be in tommorrow just got problems with the engine cover allen key bolts i had the same problem with my previous puma but slightly drilled each one and used a easy out on them since then my drill has broke so will have to borrow one

at ford i asked about the 4 washers you need as mine could be perished and no metion of them at ford i will see whats what tommorrow
my gasket is costing me £38.00

ScubaSteve said:
you do have to lift the right side first to wiggle it out, however if you remove the top cam cover bolts and hold the plastic shroud back it will pretty much lift straight out

if you take the ht lead off the spark plug nearest to the cam the rocker cover pops up no problem and leave others in so wont get confused which ones witch

done my rocker cover today old one was brittle and had a gap where the spark plugs go, was suprissed it was still running as the oil had filled this resivoir and then came out backside

:roll:

great guide thankyou done my rocker cover yesterday the gasket sealent i used was very messy and the tube splite so i got my hands covered in sealent, left it to dry over night whent to start it today and had a flat battery lucky i had a spare. there is a way of checking the altenator to see if its charges my battery press the button in the dash whilst turning the key, i will check my altiator tommorrow, then i got a missfire on the h.t, lead closest to the dizzy, it would not clip on and the shaft was slightly bent so straightened it and it clipped in took for test drive No oil leaks Firing on all 4 cylinders car quiker than before just waiting for my new spark plugs to come now jobs a good un
:thumbs: :-D :pose2:

Back