I feel dizzy

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerdave

Is it me or are so many new car ads on TV seem to depict cars spinning round in circles either on road or funfair rides.Even Mercedes at it now with their new “prestige” pickup truck.Are they trying to copy computer games?

I think it is down to the constraints of current advertising for the motoring industry, Dave. You cannot imply anything to do with speed/performance anymore - Toyota had their advert for the GT86 banned from the UK after just two complaints. The GT86 was designed from the outset to be a 'driver's car' - how can you sell that with implying some element of roadholding/handling/performance?
http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/12845/toyota-gt-86-advert-banned-in-the-uk

So, how else do you sell something, particulary when you want to focus on the 'fun' element? Not only that, but for many motorists the car is simply another 'white goods' appliance, so 'performance' as such may not particularly be a selling point. Very different to 'the old days', of course, when (as an example) having the 3.0litre Capri was seen as a big step up in performance from the 2.0l one and worthy of bragging rights in the pub.

Being a grumpy old git, anyway, what's the fuss about modern performance anyway - with more and more speed cameras/smart motorways (why are they always at 50mph, even when it's clear... or is the motorway clear because we're all doing a tedious 50mph? :? ). It's actually one of the reasons I like old cars (particularly the Puma) - much more fun to drive at sensible speeds without risking losing your licence.

So... performance = bad/irrelevant, fun (spinning in circles, etc)= good. I think. :?

MikeT66 said:
[post]368148[/post] The GT86 was designed from the outset to be a 'driver's car'
Driver's cars require driver's roads or else the old ads are just unrealistic.

Unless we're all going to move to Scotland or Wales for the daily commute, then doing something about the endless potholes on our roads would be a pretty good idea. Performance and 4 inch potholes just don't mix.

Last night, I was watching a BBC4 programme about 20th c. art in Spain and found instead that my attention was fixed on the totally smooth long Spanish road that the presenter was steaming along to go another location. That's when you know you really miss be able to drive properly on our roads.

There is also a lot of traffic around these days, which doesn't help.

Frank said:
Driver's cars require driver's roads or else the old ads are just unrealistic.

Unless we're all going to move to Scotland or Wales for the daily commute, then doing something about the endless potholes on our roads would be a pretty good idea. Performance and 4 inch potholes just don't mix.

Last night, I was watching a BBC4 programme about 20th c. art in Spain and found instead that my attention was fixed on the totally smooth long Spanish road that the presenter was steaming along to go another location. That's when you know you really miss be able to drive properly on our roads.

There is also a lot of traffic around these days, which doesn't help.

Can't argue with that, Frank - even my daily commute now resembles something of a slalom course, avoiding the potholes and lifted tarmac. I'm torn between using one route that has speed-humps steeper than a kerb, and another (main) route that has more surface damage than the moon. And we see plenty of damaged alloy wheels at our Dealership to verify the state of the roads. Definitely NOT Puma-friendly.

MikeT66 said:
[post]368320[/post] And we see plenty of damaged alloy wheels at our Dealership to verify the state of the roads. Definitely NOT Puma-friendly.
Yeah, I bought a couple of good condition secondhand prop alloys for good low money couple of years back, just for that reason. One is now the spare and the other really is a spare. I could see a potential situation where I'd get a bent alloy, put on the stainless steel spare (with its speed restriction) and end up paying top dollar for a brand new alloy, just through urgency.

The Puma prop alloys are about the only alloys that have ever caught my eye in a carpark and look OK, once you get rid of those, always, flaking centre caps -

Obviously, it goes without saying, all my alloys are fine and instead on the last MOT they found a broken spring! It was the very top part of the spring and I didn't feel it handling-wise, just felt it in the pocket.

Seriously, if I wanted to be living in a 3rd world country, like Botswana or something, then I'd have moved there.

Latest posts

Back