induction kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keza1

what do you think to these??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... 0357872351

cheers.

I think in the Puma in standard position most cone filters will make a lot of noise and possibly reduce power due to heat soak.

But that's just my opinion :)

I'd go for a performance panel filter personally.

what_he_said.jpg

im in 2 minds.............

on my OLD fiesta it did make a lot of difference....(5-10bhp at a guess)
on my mates current lupo gti it has made a good difference too

put a panel filter on the frp & i havent been as happy.......it is better....but...

now iv flowed the maf, added a cold air feed its a lot better. throttle body is soon to be done as well.

problem with the cone filters is the muck! they get dirty, they also get hot. you need to build your own cold air feed (if you keep the std box you can just 'tweek' it) to get anything from it............

if your doing it properly you need to;
establish a good cold spot for a filter
buy an enclosed carbon fibre cone air filter system & a lot of piping
route it all so theres minimul bends & its as short as possible & its all sealed well
have a cold air feed in the grill

i hate seeing a cone filter botched on with a 'fitting kit', wobbling all over the place and some muppet using air con ducting from a builders yard to pass coldish air over it.......never gonna work well

id even say putting a cone filter inside the std airbox is better than above!

oh & if you want induction roar; listen to the suck on a tweeked frp plenum chamber!!! thats good 'breathing'.

i reckon your best off with a panel filter & tweek the standard airbox to get a cold air feed from the front grill. it wont be quite as noisy (cone filter wont be noisy anyway) but it will work better and last longer

I have a Pipercross cone in mine, noticed very little change but I only really bought it for the sound. As for heat loss, its going to be minimal, probably not even noticeable, as we rarely have v hot days and only in slow traffic when you're not getting much air into the bay.
If you're after a great sound I suggest you try them, I can recommend Pipercross.

oh and I kept the lower part of the airbox to protect the filter from cr*p being thrown up into it from the arch

i'll post pics when im done with my induction kit, gonna be using a green filters twin power cone with a good cold air feed and a carbon heat shield.

all will be revealed soon

yup, im just waiting to get my bumper re sprayed and then ive gotta work out were to cut the grill up and get some carbon fibre sheet and cut and fit it as a heat shield, got a carbon fibre air feed to go in the grille aswell...

you'll notice i have a slight obsession of CF that and the fact that i hate chrome

What about a Pipercross Viper kit, carbon fibre and only little bit of shiny stuff. Only problem is they are just shy of 200 notes!

bucky said:
What about a Pipercross Viper kit, carbon fibre and only little bit of shiny stuff. Only problem is they are just shy of 200 notes!

Enclosed kits are the most efficient, but you lose the majority of the induction growl and as you said, not cheap!

Aye but feel that extra pull as the seat hugs your kidneys, you wont be able to hear the growl of the kit, you will have passed the speed of sound !! lol

bucky said:
Aye but feel that extra pull as the seat hugs your kidneys, you wont be able to hear the growl of the kit, you will have passed the speed of sound !! lol

lol, that's not quite what I meant by 'more efficient' but fair enough haha. I find the noise of my Pipercross utterly addictive so couldn't do without it, unless perhaps I got a SS exhaust but that's not likely. Depends what your priorities are from one really.

dont like the pipercross viper kits, dont like the way they look plus there far to expensive

i also like tinkering and making something myself that works and that no one else has!

anyone can go and buy a viper kit and fit it....

On cars like are the gains are minimal, and they all sound reletively the same. So its not worth spending a fortune. There is a shop near me that sells them for £26 and im sure there aint much difference in sound and performance to the £200 pipercross. Not £174 wortth of diference anyway

yeh i know, but the its the little things that make the difference, and i just like playing about and seeing what happens,

it may make no difference what so ever, but im not gonna let that stop me trying

Buy it for the noise, buy it for the looks but don't try to justify it any other way :p

The claims of extra power are usually performed on a rolling road with the bonnet open and a huge fan pointing at the engine bay- not how you'd drive it in the real world.

And who cares about an increase in peak power, what you want to know is how torque is improved and made available easily- that's what makes a car faster. I've always felt induction kits take away low end torque and replace it with top end power (if at all). Basically, I'll be quicker than you in most situations...you'll have to get to the top end to get the extra power first :p

Major power gains on the NA Puma engine are not easily achieved without major work anyway but you can increase torque :D

Both my previous Pumas were chipped with good effect (very nice torque curves), neither had induction kits...would be interested to chip the Milly for the right price (not interested in Dreamscience/Superchips etc... I want something tunable like the chip I had before).

More air in the engine = more fuel burned, i cant justify something that slightly increases cost but doesnt add anything but noise, its a puma not a
v8

Back